Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

Adrian Hodge writes:

Dear traditional rowers,

Please note that there has been a change of date for the Carrow Cup 2014; now in its 201st year. Norwich Rowing Club, organiser of the event, has chosen Saturday 6th December. Norwich City FC will not be playing at home on that date.

HW Norwich on 6th December 2014 about 12.10. p.m.

Last year Lower Thames RC won the traditional boat event and were presented with the Bicentenary Silver Bowl by the chairman of the Norwich Society.

As last year, it has been proposed that there will be a separate division for traditional boats and I hope that all the clubs in the region will be represented.

Adrian Hodge
(Norfolk Skiff Club)

Anyone interested?

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

Hi Chris, I think I am interested but would like some more info. Is it a weekend or just a day, and if a weekend where do you usually stay? How much rowing goes on ( remembering very long journey to Norfolk in the summer :-)

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

Geoff
I'm up for a trip to Norwich. Geoff

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

Hi Rachel,
Due to the distance, the race does occupy pretty much the entire weekend - we go up on Friday, race on Saturday, return Sunday (though people have driven back on the Saturday if absolutely necessary).
In the past, Adrian has invited everyone to stay at his lovely house near Norwich. We foregather at a pub on Friday night and he and Lynn have had a big party on Saturday night. Huge fun, making the long trip for a short row well worthwhile.
We can't presume on the Hodges' hospitality this year of course. Further particulars to come.

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

Teri Baker
Hi Chris,

   Already suffering rowing withdrawal symptoms from being back at work - so I'm dead interested in the Carrow Cup race.        Note it's the second oldest rowing trophy in the country AND it's the 200th anniversary this year ........... now that's got to be worth having a go at!!

  About 20 minutes to half an hour of rowing Rachel? ......     ;-)   ..... sure we can field a crew of the usual suspects for that!

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

Once again, Adrian has generously offered us accommodation in his house, but unfortunately as you can see from his note, the Mill is no longer available so some of us may have to look for B&Bs.
I have abused my insider information and booked the single room...

Dear Chris,

The Carrow Cup race will be held this year on Saturday 6th December. As in previous years Lynne and I would be pleased to accommodate any Langstone Cutters rowers who wish to attend. However, Worthing Mill has changed hands since last year and we will not therefore have access to extra accommodation in the immediate vicinity.

We can provide 3 double beds and one single. There will be room for a couple of caravans or campers in the garden if that would be of help.

I can also investigate alternative accommodation either locally or in Norwich.

Best Wishes,

Adrian

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

Would love to take up offer of accommodation but not sure husband would like me suggesting sharing a double :-)  Rachel

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

robina
Both Chris and I would like to come please.
I'm keen to either row or cox.
Robina

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

robina
Forgot to add, would like to stay at the house if there's room please.

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

I think I had best leave you to it for this one .... looks as if you have enough for a crew. Have fun

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

Members of Blakeney coastal rowing have kindly offered lots of accommodation for the weekend, so more can join the trip.
So far we have:
Chris and Robina
Geoff
Teri
Me

Mike and Victoria will be there but may be rowing in Hoi Larntan, the CRABlakeney St Ayles skiff.
Anyone eles fancy coming along?

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

Hi Carrow Cup peeps:
Could you all confirm that you are still coming?
Antonia Hardcastle is hosting a party on the Saturday night, and we will be going for an extra row on the Sunday morning.

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

Teri Baker
Hi Chris,  what time does everyone plan on migrating eastwards to Norwich on the Friday?    I'm still up for it, but work alas dictates my plan of action.

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

To get there at a reasonable time we would need to depart Langstone at about 13.00.

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

Teri Baker
Thanks Chris,  looks like I'll be coming up at silly o'clock on Saturday morning ........ are we racing in 11.30 Division 2 for traditional craft (the Long course from Pull's Ferry to Broadland Boat Club)?

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

robina
Sincere apologies Chris but we are now not able to come.
Robina and Chris

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

Oh dear, sorry to hear that, Robina.
It looks like we haven't a crew then.
Unless two people express an interest in the next couple of days we will have to call the whole thing off (as the song goes). I have alerted Adrian and the Blakeney people to the possibility.

Re: Carrow Cup, Norwich Dec 6

robina
You could take a Teifi ?