Don't drink the water.......

Steve Woods
Don’t drink the water……

Feedback from Langstone Harbour Open meeting 25th January.

I am mindful of the purpose of the forum and do not want to take the focus away.

However if you are interested in the environment in which we row read on…..

The meeting was hosted by ECA and chaired by The Portsmouth and Langstone Sailing association. It was open with no minutes Environment Agency, Southern Water, Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority (IFCA) RSPB, Hampshire and Chichester Wildlife Trusts, Portsmouth University, Langstone Harbour board, Cobnor activities centre, local commercial and leisure fishermen, sailors, kayakers and Nigel and myself from the cutters.

Without presentation and itemised agendas the roving mike soon picked up the themes and threads of subsequent discussions.

Synoptically:
Fish and shellfish were a concern and are subject to a proposal for a review of Bottom towed fishing gear led by IFCA. I had a conversation with the local fisherman’s representative who assures me they do make a healthy living from the clams that are dredged from the harbour. They are aware of the damage it causes and are working with the fisheries agencies to introduce limits and more appropriate apparatus and devices. The boats we see are licenced and catches are monitored but it does rake up the “seabed” and limits biodiversity. Slipper limpets are epidemic and there is uncertainty of the Impact. Oysters are thriving but only in the areas protected by natural and artificial (moorings) that prevent dredging (as I understood it) .The Bass fishing catch ban is affecting the crabs and the species that is thriving are the Seals. The RSPB did not offer any information on the health of the bird population which was disappointing.

Seagrass growth and destruction was aired and contributions from the scientists and rhetoric from the chair were both disturbing and amusing. It can take 10 years for a bed to recover from destruction. At this point I was a concerned that those of us that know Nigel, he might volunteer the club in some project to sow the 58 known species back into the harbour. Phew

Water quality and management of sewage and road run off was by far the biggest debate. Sadly we are of course the worst species when it comes to polluting our harbour. The obsession with cars, roads, driveways and building on green site potentiates more rainfall drainage. This impacts our sewage systems after heavy/sustained rainfall in order to prevent domestic/commercial property and road flooding the water is pumped and released with untreated or not completely treated sewage into Langstone harbour and other sites. To illustrate the impact it was reported that in August one of the overflow diversions resulted in the Budds’ farm outlet pumping this toxic mix for 14.5 hours!

Debris, fundamentally what we flush down the loo! It is possible to sort the organic but not the bits of plastic! (I have read that in some exfoliating face creams that use synthetic plastic particles these escape into the Oceans ingested by micro-organisms then by bigger and bigger animals and eventually by us. Nigel and other conservation volunteers and officers confirmed the impact of the toilet bowl debris and fishing lines and net damage/mending debris it is evident and on the whole avoidable.

There was confirmation from the agencies that do sample and test the water that it is usually clear; but always polluted by the unseen and the accidental. As you are no doubt aware some of the drugs we ingest end up in other people’s drinking water. Closer to home the dumping of oil into the water courses has been devastating. To put quantities in perspective it was cited that a litre of oil pollutes I million litres of water.

The Environment agency, Southern water and Langstone Harbour Board appeared to be unprepared for the meeting and unable to answer questions with enough accuracy and conviction to give confidence that they fully appreciated the concerns.

So watch this space and lets all try and do our bit by living as organically as possible and loving our harbours. Maybe join the friends of each harbour and keep informed of the need to lobby and find a day or two to help with the clean ups. Maybe stop buying/ using plastic throwaway bottles
(Unless critical to racing/safety)

I ponder that the planet really does not need us and our responsibility is to be the best guests we possibly can be (even if like me mostly conveniently green)

Re: Don't drink the water.......

Andy Mac
Hi Steve

Sincere thanks to you for sharing such a well writtem, thorough and heartfelt synopsis of the recent Langstone Harbour open meeting.

Your summary reminds us all of our duty of care to do our bit to maintain and sustain the beautiful harbours in which we row.

Much food for many thoughts, for which many thanks.

Best
Andy