Hamble row lessons learned

michael
I left lifejackets as an individual choice and the way the tide runs under the Warsach pontoon I would not do that again.
I must thank Tom and Nigel for getting the two Galleys safely away by moving them back off the pontoon into the calm waters of the shallow slipway and getting underway just as we do from our beach. Much better than our struggle against a strong cross tide on the pontoon. Lesson learned.
Having four crews that is twenty people took all the stress out of lifting onto the double.
Look at the map before you set off, the scenic route is not always the best with a trailer.
Seriously having a pontoon seemed so special but the beach start was the way to go.
Michael

Re: Hamble row lessons learned

Pam P
Today's row sounded lovely, I was envious.   Reading below, it also sounds exciting!   Hopefully someone took photos of what sounds a beautiful stretch of water?

Re: Hamble row lessons learned

Lesley Grainger
Michael,
I know you have thought carefully about your post and you are right that there's always lessons to learn to make it better next time. Thanks for organising the whole day for us to enjoy.
From my perspective, it was a perfect day & I loved every minute. It was great to see & meet so many cutters who worked together to make it such a  lovely row.
Thanks to Phil, Tom & Nigel who did a fabulous job.towing the boats.
Thank you all

Re: Hamble row lessons learned

Michael Gilbert
Quite right Michael. I don't think I have quite so surprised and the force of the flow for some time!. Scared me and the Gig struggled to get away with a light crew. Lessons learned!!

Mine

Re: Hamble row lessons learned

tombennettx@gmail.com
Having had the problem getting away from the jetty on previous occasions and especially this time(!) can I make the suggestion that we always beach launch on these rows up the Hamble. Apart from the safety issues it risks damage to the boats and oars. Taking Lady and Sally back to the beach made for a much more managed and safer departure.

Re: Hamble row lessons learned

It was Steve Woods who first worked this out. Perhaps there should be a system for ensuring this sort of know-how is not lost.

Re: Hamble row lessons learned

michael
Chris, this is why I posted this and previously about the timing for clearance under bridges to Portchester. Perhaps you could make a dedicated spot for all our hard learned lesson. Michael

Re: Hamble row lessons learned

"Cox's Corner" at langstonecutters.com has a lot of stuff but I suspect many people don't know it is there because Google's horrible redesign eliminated the "tabs" at the top of the home page. I will add a section on the Hamble and everyone is urged to contribute their knowledge.

Re: Hamble row lessons learned

michael
Chris, thank you, I had never seen cox’s corner. I am sure I do not want to be the cox that tells them no talking on our pub rows. Michael

Re: Hamble row lessons learned

Cox’s corner is definitely a new one…but I like the idea of sharing useful info. Especially helpful to those of us who are down as row organisers.
Well done for setting it up and organising this!