Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

RichardThrift
Weather forecast makes Thursday's row a no go. Good news is Wednesdays forecast has considerably improved. So the plan is meet at Northney 1215 launch 12.30ish. Row to Emsworth, light lunch at the Bluebell then back by 1530 to 1600. Weather forecast is Sunny periods, possibility of light rain shower wind only 6mph SSW and 14c so nice day for rowing. Low tide is 10.48 on a 3.9 HT is 1742 so we catch the tide to Ems.
Please register interest so I can plan the boats. Usual suggestions on clothing etc ie lots of layers and waterproofs, wellies, water, mobile phones in waterproof casing, spare blanket and life jackets/buoyancy aids.
As we will be using the skiffs I take on board suggestion of a spare oar so you guys that have launched the Skiffs can obviously be of help there.
Hope you can join me
Regards
Richard Thrift

Re: Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

Andy Mac
Hi Richard

Yes please for me.

When I last rowed in the Skiffs , one had a decent set of club oars, while ther other had the flimsy oars which come with the boats. The club oars wedge in the rollocks / oarlocks and work well. If we are only taking one skiff out, my advice would be to opt for the set of club oars, as there is a constant fear of breaking the flimsy ones which come with the boats.

The Skiffs are in the blue compound which is the last compound on the right when standing facing the North slipway.

Would you like me to collect the slip and compound gate keys from reception Richard?

See you at 12.15
Best

Re: Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

RichardThrift
Sounds good to me. Have you had any feedback re the broken oars.
I agree with taking club oars--I guess we would need to collect them from the shed in Mike's garden.
Regards & thanks for bringing this to my attention

Re: Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

We did leave a set of club oars in one of the skiffs a couple of weeks ago Richard , but the boats have since been out a couple of times, so I dont know if they are still there. It's not so much feedback Richard, the oars which come with the boats appear to be made from knotted softwood, hence when worked hard, they are simply not strong enough and snap.
Hardly rowing club equipment would be a polite summary of comments made to date.
Best

Re: Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

Hi Richard.
I'll see you there.
...... Les ...🚣

Re: Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

Fine for us too Richard, see you then ~ Ron and Cheryl

Re: Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

Me too please.

Re: Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

Morning Richard
I also recall that Mike removes the seating mats and that they may need a painter or two for mooring up?
Let me know how I may further assist?

Re: Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

RichardThrift
Andy,
The last time I rowed a St Ayles skiff I thought for a longer row you would need seating covers, it would be useful to check out whether they are available in the boat compound or in Mike's garden shed. It could also be important to check out the oars and if necessary get the club oars over to Northney again from Mike's shed. Not sure how we would do this as my car is not long enough to get the oars in.
If necessary I will turn up at the Northney at 12 instead of 12.15 to check this out with you and anyone else who wants to. Would like to launch by 12.30 to give us time for a decent row and not rush lunch at the Bluebell which I think stops serving food after 2pm.
Perhaps other rowers may like to comment.
Good news is the weather forecast looks good and the wind is very low so nice day out on the sea rather than the motorway!!
Kind regards

Re: Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

Andy Mac
No Probs Richard

We will stop off at Mikes for seat covers etc. I think the oars are likely over there but will check.
See you around 12.15 once I have stopped off at Mikes, as I drive in from Arundel.

Re: Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

Andrew B
ref seat covers - I would check at unit 3 first, they were in there last night, on the right as you walk in.
Andrew

Ok See you at 12.15--thanks for the help. Call me if you have any probs.
Richard Mob 07831 440448

Re: Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

RichardThrift

Thats good Andrew we'll check unit 3--hope someone has the key!!

Re: Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

Thanks Andrew.
They were indeed in unit three.
Ta

Re: Mid week sunshine row change of plan to Wednesday

Thanks for organising, Richard. Pity about the weather... I thought we were all JOLLY HARD.