Ocean to City race 30th May

Hello fellow Cutters,
                          I have the slightly mad urge to take a Galley to the Ocean to City event in Cork on the weekend of 30th May and I wondered if anyone else thinks it looks like fun? There are a number of different races on offer but the big one is 28km across open water ..and guess what, that's the one I'm suggesting. The whole event looks like a great experience, it's the Irish equivalent of the GRR with plenty of chances to party thrown in. Take a look at the website http://www.oceantocity.com/ for lots more info and pictures.

Sadly enthusiasm has to be tempered by some slightly sobering facts. It is nearly 250 miles to the ferry port at Pembroke which would mean leaving Langstone at about 8 am on the Friday to catch the 14.45 ferry. The crossing is 4 hours and there is another 120 mile drive to get from Rosslare to Cork. On the return trip the ferry leaves at 20.45 on the Sunday which either means an overnight in Pembroke or a night drive back. The ferry would cost about £75 per person if 6 of us can cram in one vehicle...most of this is the cost of taking the trailer as it's rather long!

I am happy to look into accommodation options and make all the arrangements if there is enough enthusiasm, but also we need to make sure we have a workable plan to tow the boat.

If you think you might be interested please post a reply and indicate whether you can tow.

Here's hoping some of your are as mad as me ......

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Sue Martin
Def as mad as!!

Yeah sounds interesting. Done that drive and ferry few times and Rosslare to Tipperary t'other side so not quite Cork.

So consider interest expressed.
Sue

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Yes, I guess I qualify, mad, bad and dangerous to know? I can wholeheartedly recommend this one! It was my first competitive row !  and a great Craic in Cork ( Thanks Mike,Colin, Elaine, Julia and Jenny ) . Interested subject to availability (checking) and happy to share the driving and towing.

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Shellz
I can't make this sadly as the even madder London to Paris runs from 25 to 30 may (or slightly beyond if weather is cruel) but would just like to add my recommendation.

It is a wonderful event.  The route takes in some lovely lumpy water at the harbour entrance and then gets calmer as you reach Cork. The scenery is amazing, fellow competitors fun (more friendly as a whole than the GRR), the finish in the middle of the town centre is rather astonishing and then there's the Craic...

There is also a small matter of us currently holding (in part, shared with CRAB) the trophy for the fastest four oared boat and it should be defended!

Go!

Shel :)

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Alan Harding
Hi Rachel,

Yes very interested too.

Thanks,

Alan H

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Room for another girlie? Really fancy this trip!

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Great it looks as if we might have a very promising crew :-) I will find out more info and post soon

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Grahaml
Excellent news now I am excited.
Graham

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 31, 2015, at 10:58 AM, rjnorris [via Langstone Cutters RC] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Great it looks as if we might have a very promising crew :-) I will find out more info and post soon

http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Ocean-to-City-race-30th-May-tp3063p3105.html

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Hello.
Nearly missed this one.I would like to come along , if only to partake in a little of the black stuff.
Thanks Rachel........Les......🚣 🍺

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Time for an update ....

9 people have expressed an interest so far :-
Me
Sue
Graham
Steve
Marion
Alan
Tim
Barry
Les

The plan would be to take the double trailer which I am reliably informed will be overhauled and have new wheels before May. This would mean we could take two Galleys or a Galley and a Teifi/Salter Skiff depending on final numbers. I have checked the measurements and it will fit on the ferry.
Steve has offered to tow, with one passenger who could hopefully be added to his insurance and share the driving ( Tim I'm hoping this might be you? ). Barry has very kindly offered to act as backup for towing although when he made this offer I hadn't mentioned the double trailer!

So now to cost estimates....

Ferry -  3 cars, 9 passengers and 1 trailer = £775  which is £87 each
Petrol - allowing for the towing car doing about 30 mpg and the others more like 40 mpg cost is about £40 each
Entry fee which includes launching and recovery is 40 Euros so £30 each
Jury's Inn - ( recommended by Shelley and Geoff )- 3 nights sharing room only £127 or £150 B&B

So the grand total will be about £300.
For this you get excellent company, an exciting ferry trip, an amazing race, a maritime festival, lots of chances to party, another row on Sunday if you can manage it and a weary but happy trip home with stories to bore other Cutters with for months :-)

So now the crunch ... I need to book the ferry really soon to be sure of getting us on it. That means I would need £117 to cover the entry fee and the ferry cost from you as soon as possible. So I guess it's time to decide whether you are coming.

The dates are Friday 29th May - Monday 1st June (possibly arriving back in the early hours of Tuesday - please let me know if this would be a problem for you)

Please post here as soon as possible with your decision!

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Grahaml
Give me bank codes so I can send you money.
Graham

Sent from my iPad

http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Ocean-to-City-race-30th-May-tp3063p3206.html

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Alan Harding
Hi Rachel,

This looks great.
A big yes please from me.

Thanks,

Alan

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Andrew B
Graham would it help if I  give you my bank codes ?
Andrew

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Grahaml
Yes then I guess you can give the cash to Rachel.
Rachel are you happy with this?
Graham

Sent from my iPad

http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Ocean-to-City-race-30th-May-tp3063p3209.html

Graham - i was joking, but need some money
Andrew

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Grahaml
😀 sorry I missed the joke. It's hard to have a bit of fun on email.
But we could pass the hat round at the ferry port.
Graham

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 18, 2015, at 10:26 AM, Andrew B [via Langstone Cutters RC] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Graham - i was joking, but need some money
Andrew

http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Ocean-to-City-race-30th-May-tp3063p3211.html

Re: Ocean to City race 30th May

Yes please, sounds like a great plan.