Radios

RichardH
Yesterday when we went rowing there was only one radio in the box.  Mo's post made me think has anyone else got a radio in their bag?   If not does anyone know where the other radios are?

Re: Radios

Pete Reed
There were two in the box after my last row.
One brought back from Norfolk by Geoff and one already there.
Pete

PS Is it possible to buy additional radios as we frequently have five boats on the water with only three radios?

Re: Radios

I was about to post about the vhf’s, as I was becoming worried that they were not being returned “to base” immediately after use.

On a related note, the radio in the box that Richard refers to was the one I returned - after it had been found WITH THE CHARGING FLAP OPEN at the end of the row.
 This allows seawater into the battery connections and can render the vhf unusable.
PLEASE DO NOT FIDDLE WITH OPENINGS AND SEALS ON ANY OF THE RADIOS, AND IF YOU DO (accidentally) MAKE SURE THEY ARE CLOSED AGAIN STRAIGHT AWAY!
 It was a similar incident that wrote off one of our radios last season. The replacement would currently cost
Icom M25 Handheld floating VHF Radio
£ 179.99  reduced to £ 149.95 at marine superstore.

There are cheaper alternatives, e.g. a Cobra, at about £85, but they aren’t as robust, and others which are cheaper still, but not legal in the uk.