Southend Pier Race Aug 24

Lower Thames Rowing Club are holding the second Southend Pier Race on Sunday August 24th.
It is an eight mile course, and last year the race attracted seven boats from various clubs, and I know Witchoar will be there this year.
The race starts at 10.30 so we would either have to start at a criminally early hour or go the previous night and find somewhere to stay. LTRC came down to the Round Hayling Race so I think it would be good if we could put up a boat or two.
Details are here: http://www.lowerthamesrowingclub.com/lower_thames_rowing_club_pier_race.html
If you are interested, post here!

Re: Southend Pier Race Aug 24

Mike Gilbert

It would be good to go. However I am in Falmouth for Gig Rowing coaching....

Mike Gilbert
Langstone Adventure Rowing
www.langstonerowing.co.uk
m 07767 350512

On 12 Aug 2014 11:33, "Chris Partridge [via Langstone Cutters RC]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Lower Thames Rowing Club are holding the second Southend Pier Race on Sunday August 24th.
It is an eight mile course, and last year the race attracted seven boats from various clubs, and I know Witchoar will be there this year.
The race starts at 10.30 so we would either have to start at a criminally early hour or go the previous night and find somewhere to stay. LTRC came down to the Round Hayling Race so I think it would be good if we could put up a boat or two.
Details are here: http://www.lowerthamesrowingclub.com/lower_thames_rowing_club_pier_race.html
If you are interested, post here!

http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Southend-Pier-Race-Aug-24-tp1983.html

Re: Southend Pier Race Aug 24

Andrew B
Hi Chris,

Having spent an enjoyable week with Ron on the Broads Tour, and having us bashing our ears several times every day about this I really do think we owe it to him to turn up.

It is a bank holiday however, but I would think a 7am start would do it ?
I would be up for coxing and Debbie would come.

also probably some others from the Broads trip who met Ron et al.....

If my car is fixed I can tow. The car has done 550 miles from Lyme Regis gigging , to the Broads, and then back to Hayling and used no diesel whatsoever, since it was on the back of a recovery truck, I wish I could promise similar consumption figures on any visit to Southend.
Andrew

Re: Southend Pier Race Aug 24

Have satnav will travel, Andrew is right, The Lower Thames club would really appreciate it if we could support this event.

Regards

Tim

Re: Southend Pier Race Aug 24

Alan Harding
I'm up for it too.

Regards,

Alan H

Re: Southend Pier Race Aug 24

I would so love to join you all but dare not ask for a pass out so soon after Norfolk and with the mother-in-law staying! Hope you get a crew together.

Re: Southend Pier Race Aug 24

Unfortunately due to bank hol family commitments I can no longer make this.
Andrew, Debbie, Tim and Al are up for it - anyone else available?
The latest info is that the course is 5 nautical miles and the start is 12.00, so a day trip is very doable.

Re: Southend Pier Race Aug 24

Andrew B
OK Chris - I'll take over running this one then....lets hope car comes out of garage in time....and we can find one more race-ready rower.
Andrew

Re: Southend Pier Race Aug 24

Jenny
Hi Andrew

I would love to join you if there is space.

Thanks
Jenny

Re: Southend Pier Race Aug 24

Andrew B
Hi Jenny that's great...we have a  TEAM, (and a car now, the Skoda is fixed )

On 18 August 2014 19:11, Jenny [via Langstone Cutters RC] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andrew

I would love to join you if there is space.

Thanks
Jenny

http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Southend-Pier-Race-Aug-24-tp1983p2053.html

Andrew Berry
Andrew

Re: Southend Pier Race Aug 24

Good luck tomorrow, hope your recent week of intensive training ;-) inspires you to great things.

Re: Southend Pier Race Aug 24

Andrew B
Thanks Rache......we'll look out for a marsh harrier for you , ha ha
Andrew

Re: Southend Pier Race Aug 24

Andrew B
This post was updated on .
We went to Leigh On Sea
  We rowed 7 miles on the race plus a mile to and from the start, 7 miles in 1 hour, 9 mins, 47 secs, with no position changes, no substitutions. Well done to the crew of  Jenny M, Alan H, Tim P and Debbie B.
   We saw the pier, we confirm its the longest pier in England.
            We left the conquering to someone else, but were 6th in the fixed seats, out of a fleet of 13, competing against many Harkers gigs, beating some and being beaten by others

But we had a good time, made new friends, and met up with Ron from the Broads again.

The crew feels they've set a challenge and its up to a different crew to beat their time next year.

Andrew

Re: Southend Pier Race Aug 24

After yesterday's Southend Pier Race I thought that I would like to share some thoughts - I can't move so needed something to do.

7.30am Northney loaded and away

The Race

12 noon

A cunning manoeuvre by Andrew B with all fifteen or maybe more crews jostling for position on a nominal line between the jetty and big orange buoy saw Bembridge to the right of the course amongst the sliding seats and fancied mens crews and we spent the next two/three miles out towards the end of Southend Pier oar to oar with with a couple of (four oared) fit, enthusiastic, if somewhat noisy local Essex Gigs.

The first four gigs and sliding seats eventually pulled ahead as we approached the Leigh Buoy at the top of the course leaving one in particular chasing us hard. At the turn we squeezed ahead of a small dinghy fleet and Andrew found the perfect line to bring us back in contention with two gigs on the second leg towards shore.

It was however strange not to stop for tea and cakes at the end of the pier - something that I have suggested for next year!

Having rounded the second buoy we had overtaken one of the leading gigs but they were to come back through at about the five mile mark. The gig that had been pressing us hard had a bit of a dinghy incident at the top turn but following our course continued to press and at this point rotated their crew - we pushed on for the umpteenth "ten firm".

The last mile or so was all a bit of a blur of constant pushes through the moorings with the aforementioned refreshed gig looming like a pirate ship behind us. The finish was really impressive, there was a substantial appreciative crowd as well as the leading crews gathered to welcome us back.

The last mile was hell and the last stroke pure joy.

1.09.47seconds Finished

No time for celebration, rest, group hugs etc as there was still the journey back to the slipway, it took an age to row the mile or so back to the slipway which gave us even more time to ponder our opponents, the leading boats were just so long and smooth in their strokes. At the end as an additional bonus they also seemed to have retained the ability to stand upright, walk in a straight line and complete other basic functions such as speech and holding ropes!

2pm back at slipway

Having put the boats back on trailers we were rewarded by a tasty burger and beer before the short drive into Leigh for a pint and the closing ceremony.

7 pm Northney we are back

A steady drive home and into the more homely surrounds of the Royal Oak for a well earned pint - apart from Jenny who had to go to work a night shift!

A big thankyou to everyone for making it happen and actually doing it this touring is real fun and everyone was really pleased to see Bembridge, after all the real star of the show!