Tudor Challenge - ONE place available Sat 13th August

Tudor Challenge - ONE place available Sat 13th August

RichardH
Hi

Someone has had to pull out of the  Tudor challenge so this means that we now have one place available for this 10 Mile row in Langstone Harbour.  Further details are below so please post if you are interested.  If more than one person is interested we will hold any other names on a reserve list.

Our club has been invited to the inaugural Tudor Challenge 2022 and this invitation is open to any fixed seat traditional style boat or traditional-style replica, powered by a minimum of four oars.

The course, weather permitting, will be a route of about 10 miles within the harbour using permanent marker buoys and other markers. The race is timed around high tide so there are no water depth issues for any part of the circuit. Should there be poor weather/high winds on the day, the route may be switched to a shorter one based on the first half of the original route.

The race categories are still under development but once the organisers have more information on numbers and type of vessel it is expected that the race organisers we will expand the selection of categories.. At the time of writing and to allow you to consider your teams, you can expect there to be trophies for the following Challenges:
A) Fastest overall around the course (with handicap)
B) Fastest women’s team around the course (with handicap)
C) Fastest Veterans team (each rower must be 55 years of age or over)
D) Fastest Veterans women’s team (each rower must be 55 years of age or over)
E) Fastest Boat in each class i.e Pilot Gig, Solent Galley, Bursledon, (further categories will be created when two or more of a particular boat class enter).

Venue - The Tudor Challenge will be held at Tudor Sailing Club, Eastern Road, PO11 0NH.   Race Start Time - 11:00AM and boats will be set off in short intervals. Approximate time to finish – 2 hours
The entry fee for the race will be £10.00 per rower.  Teams will be 5 persons: a cox and 4 rowers.  The cox and rowers can change positions as often as they wish during the row.   However there is no passenger and it is expected that rowers will be capable of rowing all the time unless they are coxing.

Richard