Water quality in Chichester Harbour

Mark Taylor
I have received the below information from Friends of Chichester Harbour. I wanted to forward it to all LCRC members via this forum as it concerns all users of the Harbour.

In summary,  the current position is that waste water businesses such as Southern water find the economics of discharging sewerage and facing fines, more cost effective than building infrastructure to clean all waste in all conditions.

As I am sure you are all aware of the issues of water quality in Chichester and beyond you may be interested in the parliamentary debate following the petition entitled β€œBan Water Companies discharging raw sewage into water courses.”.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/582336

The debate is scheduled for 15 November 2021.
Mark Taylor
Phone 023 9248 4492
Mobile 0777 226 3299
Email md_taylor@live.co.uk

Re: Water quality in Chichester Harbour

nigel
To effect changes to the government attitude the House of Lords debate was the most effective time to influence changes - Several days ago unfortunately! They did, however, succeed, and you will have seen the gov'ts embarrassment on the telly in the last day or so. Hopefully the proposals won't be watered down (!) too much when it gets to Boris and Co.

ALSO....Don't forget Langstone Harbour (and our very own Budds Farm treatment works)........remember that what you see below (in the link, not the water)
is what we rowers need to be careful about when we are passing over what's below us (the water, not the link)!
🚣🚣🚣🚣

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-59050129

🌚
P.S. For those that are interested in how the Lords manages to tweak the lions nose (the commons) see also the "Amendment 53" which they passed a day or so ago, and which will now also be debated (and hopefully not watered down) in the commons. This is an attempt to protect bees and other pollinators from short and Long term damage from pesticides. In the past there was only limited short term protection.