Amphibious Landing via St Ayles Skiff in Emsworth.

Amphibious Landing via St Ayles Skiff in Emsworth.

Steve Woods
Ahoy,

Maritime history records the voyage of the intrepid few. Shipwreck Steve, Long Silver Shilling, Jolly Dee, Andy all day Breakfast, Barry the oar breaker (Now honoured to join Tim in the oar breaker club) and Rachel "that's not funny, but I will laugh anyway ,now do as you are told, yes Miss. Supported by Nigel I told you to put the fenders in place, One armed Spaghetti Western Cheryl and of course Ron "pout for the camera darling" the lens.

So picture the placid marina, sea trials of Old Bobs newly hewn oars for juniors. A crew imitating squabbling children to add atmosphere and an oar strong enough to transmit the explosive power of Barry's stroke. We ventured East picking up the trailing tail winds of Storm Henry and ventured to Swear deep and then the North passage to Worth on Emm's . On a natty neap flood with gusting side winds the St Ayles skiff rode the water well, the available water that is!. Shipwreck supposedly on watch determined to see how low can we go? Should we test the displacement a full crew with so little water. Scurvy through lack of tea was evident as decision making slowed down as did the boat. The jetty was in sight with anxious looking Ron behind the lens and Cheryl in a poncho chewing a cheroot as we tried to navigate the now inches of water. What happened next.....

So happy to report that you can get into Emsworth at low water and if you choose to you can punt the St Ayles skiff along the bund somewhat silted up. Safely moored we made our way to The Greenhouse Café .

I believe I can speak for the crew that we enjoyed our determined Skiff row, Dee her first exposure to the wild and whacky ways of "Cutter faffing". The Skiffs are new to us and different, well worth getting to know and will doubtless give us hours of recreational pleasure on the water and we need to learn to race them well, v e r y well  and win some Silverware.So thank you to those that have provided them for our use and look after the funding and details. Oarsome Chance, Mike and Geoff.

I have failed to load up the images Ron, cant blame the computer!

Notes for fellow users:

There are no boards in the bottom so more care when crew embarking/disembarking.
There are no fenders
There are no Prod sticks
There is no throw line
Oars are available but work in progress, please check with Geoff
Only one boat with rudder at present, please check with Geoff
Booking is c/o website link Autumn newsletter or via Mike/Me (Chris/Mike could we add a section to the cutters website?)
Pin Money £2.00 per head
This time of year I think Life jackets and a charged phone are a must.

Re: Amphibious Landing via St Ayles Skiff in Emsworth.

Mike Gilbert

Wonderful!

On 4 Feb 2016 11:05, "Steve Woods [via Langstone Cutters RC]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

[hidden email]

http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Amphibious-Landing-via-St-Ayles-Skiff-in-Emsworth-tp6727.html

Re: Amphibious Landing via St Ayles Skiff in Emsworth.

Excellent read , but I must say , much fun was had . Thank you crew .

Re: Amphibious Landing via St Ayles Skiff in Emsworth.

Ahoy.
Twas much fun ( and faffing ) with a very fine crew and shore party.
I wasnt aware until yesterday, that Ron " over here " the lens, was an Admiralty Pilot.