Bembridge at the Great River Race - a cabin boys story

Bembridge at the Great River Race - a cabin boys story

Bembridge Great River Race 2014 a “cabin boys” view from the bow

Please excuse this slightly indulgent note penned on behalf of the 2014 Bembridge Crew

Colin McP.........Captain
Chris E.............Tactician
Paul B...............Port Engine
Marcus B..........Statistician
Errol G..............Starboard Engine
Tim P................Cabin Boy, Jelly Babies and Vaseline

Ian Mc..............Coach and coxing consultant
Steve W............Nutritionist and motivational support

Preparation

The night before the race, Marcus, having studied the records sent the following motivational email to the crew

"A few statistics from previous years for Bembridge's performance

2010 60th in 2.43.33
2011 50th in 2.34.19
2012 43rd in 2.39.19
2013 42nd in 2.31.04

High tide at Brentford is 7.03 at 17.23"

Team Goals

Based on this insight crew tactician Chris E set the following goals for the team.

To finish higher than 42nd
• To improve on 2 hours 31 minutes and 4 seconds
• To get closer than 3 minutes to the super vets

The Race

13.35 was the allocated start time for Bembridge with a start number of 227.

13.35.02 Bembridge emerged from the impatient throng of Gigs and Celtic longboats, found clear water and set off with Colin McP at the helm.

“some gaps just happen some don’t, the skill is to avoid the latter”. Colin McP28/9/2014

The crew soon settled into a long steady stroke and Colin McP, aided by some helpful advice from the various safety officers and marshalls positioned Bembridge in the centre of the stream where we were soon making good way.

(apparently after previous years Bembridge gets allocated her very own Marshalls at the start and they indeed were clearly disappointed not to see Ian M at the helm)

The crew was quiet and focused with barely a word spoken maintaining a 24/25 stroke rate as Colin McP plotted the most favourable course, each boat to be passed in its way paying due respect to Bembridge and putting that little bit more effort in to maintain station before one after the other dropping back.

Excalibur and Azook (Cornish pilot gigs) came into view and were clearly making ground, however, as change followed change with Chris E and Paul B taking turns at coxing it became clear that our superior coxing and race experience was allowing the crew to more than hold its own. The stroke remained long, the stroke rate low and the crew perhaps even more determined.

 Houses of Parliament

14.15 The Houses of Parliament - Excalibur was to finally pass followed some 30 minutes later by Azook and at some stage the dragon boats and canoes Manu O Ke Kan, Rio Draco, OC Uk Men and Hakin .

The crew changes had been agreed at 25 – 35 minutes and this was working well especially when, whilst an attempt was made by a couple of slower craft to board us on both sides the Bow crew popped in a slick change to keep the time lost to a mere 16 seconds, at the time no one realised just how significant a time this was to be!

“some gaps just happen some don’t, the skill is to avoid the latter”. Colin McP28/9/2014

We carried on up the river exchanging nods to old friends from Lower Thames, Richmond Bridge, and Blakeney rowing clubs, the crew only breaking silence to cheer on the young ladies in Holly who were doing so very well and to greet and receive some helpful advice from Mable,  oh and in response to the meows from the Catwoman crew!

The more balanced the water the more Bembridge surged forward steadily passing others most noteably the large fleet of Celtic Longboats and assorted Harker Gigs

15.20 The impressive Trinty Tide (Thames Waterman Cutter) appeared travelling at a rate of knots. Battle was joined, the two craft flat out, 10 firm, 20, 20 more 20 and so on (a good time to be on a break methinks) this skirmish lasted for well over a mile the crews lost in their our own very private race, left well alone by the marshalls on the far side of the river. Both crews fought out a great battle in a fair fashion and eventually Trinity prevailed. It was noted that amongst their crew sat one John Graham (GRR Winner 2013), pleasantries were exchanged and the crews parted company

Something had happened during the race with Trinity Tide, Bembridge and crew had got really well settled into race pace and the speed of the boat was just incredible so much so that at Richmond Witchoar (Claydon Skiff) and arch enemy of Gladys was sighted and passed.

We also sighted and passed perhaps the newest boat in the whole race, the daintily named GROOT & Grut 2 a St Ayles Skiff from Holland completed just weeks before the event. Shortly after Errol spotted Gladys in the distance the “super vets” were within sight, again the pace lifted ensuring the splendid sight of two "cutters" crews powering to the finish with only 16 seconds seperating them! It was a great feeling to be so close together after such a long race, three cheers rang out between clubmates. The race was over!

15.59 We could have gone on and on it felt so good to be on the water!

“some gaps just happen some don’t, the skill is to avoid the latter”. Colin McP28/9/2014

Some 200 gaps had happened and only one didn’t, 21.6 miles of rowing without once reducing power lower than race pace. In fact it seems unlikley but I could swear that Bembridge actually managed to maintain pace during the change overs with no time lost at all!

The mood was soon to darken however when with Bembridge alongside at the slip a stray oar from a reckless rower was to strike Errol on the temple leaving him in to bottom of the boat. The response was incredible, people dropping into the water to help and summonsing medical aid and in  a short time Errol was in the capable hands of the Ambulance Service and back on his feet! A salutary lesson to everyone about the need to be aware of just where you put your oars!

Time to reflect

Bembridge had been to the Great River Race - The UK Traditional Boat Championships and had finished 31st overall in a time of 2 hrs 24 minutes and 24 seconds.

17th fastest overall.
• 11th overall veterans crew.
• 2nd overall veterans four single oared vessel. (not a proper class but maybe should be  - within 2 seconds of the fastest, a Whitby Gig)
• 16 seconds behind Gladys.
 maybe next year!!

For anyone thinking of participating in this marvellous challenge I would humbly offer the following advice:-

Buy a large drink for someone who has done the race before and pick their brains....
“some gaps just happen some don’t, the skill is to avoid the latter”. Colin McP28/9/2014
Spend as much time planning how to cox as you do to row......
Get to the start line early............ .(Trinity Tide crossed 2 minutes early)
Get as far to the left (centre of the river) as you can and stay there.......
Spend time learning how to best cox the race.........................................
Set a long steady stroke rate of 23/24....................................................
Maintain consistent stroke pressure througout the crew.............................
Don’t fight battles you can't win, choose who to race and who to allow through wisely..
Trust your cox and get on with your job....................................................
Be flexible in your changes somewhere between 20 - 40 minutes........................
Be prepared to ask for a change if you need to.................... Errol and I changed for the last 8 - 10 minutes and it worked for us.
Take care of your oars at all times and be aware of others...........................................

The cox, the most important person in the boat - anyone can row! Malcolm Knight 5th Oct. 2014

Oh and get some carbon blades!

Colin McP, Mike, Paul, Marcus, Errol and Tim

Bembridge 2014

Re: Bembridge at the Great River Race - a cabin boys story

Great stuff and congratulations to all the Bembridge crew!
Particular congratulations on:
• 16 seconds behind Gladys. maybe next year!!

...but no chance...

Re: Bembridge at the Great River Race - a cabin boys story

Would a little bet be in order perchance?

Re: Bembridge at the Great River Race - a cabin boys story

Shellz
A fab read. Can I pinch some of it for my HI column please?

:)

Re: Bembridge at the Great River Race - a cabin boys story

Teri Baker
Well done Bembridge!!  ... and well deserved all!

Brilliant write up Tim ........... but how the hell did you keep notes of the whys and wherefores of the entire race? ..... all I can remember is doing my damndest to keep rowing long and strong and really random bits like seeing the pagoda at Kew and thinking "yeah! well down the road - keep going!" ........ and a Viking boat full of full of Santas who sung "Play up Pompey" as we passed them .................. oh, and us chasing one of Swanage's gigs to the finish line...     .. really was one utterly brilliant day !!

Everyone still on a GRR high?     I know I am!

Re: Bembridge at the Great River Race - a cabin boys story

I love this Tim well done. I sent you some Bembridge pictures but clearly too late, sorry.

All the best - Ron

Re: Bembridge at the Great River Race - a cabin boys story

Brilliant recounting...

Mike Gilbert
Langstone Adventure Rowing
www.langstonerowing.co.uk
m 07767 350512

On 2 Oct 2014 09:58, "Timp [via Langstone Cutters RC]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bembridge Great River Race 2014 a “cabin boys” view from the bow

Please excuse this slightly indulgent note penned on behalf of the 2014 Bembridge Crew

Colin McP.........Captain
Chris E.............Tactician
Paul B...............Port Engine
Marcus B..........Statistician
Errol R..............Starboard Engine
[...]

Excalibur and Azook (Cornish pilot gigs) came into view and were clearly making ground, however, as change followed change with Chris E and Paul B taking turns at coxing it became clear that their superior coxing and race experience was allowing the crew to more than hold its own. The stroke remained long the stroke rate low and the crew perhaps even more determined.

 Houses of Parliament

14.15 The Houses of Parliament - Excalibur was to finally pass followed some 30 minutes later by Azook and at some stage the dragon boats and canoes Manu O Ke Kan, Rio Draco, OC Uk Men and Hakin also came through.

The crew changes had been agreed at 25 – 35 minutes and this was working well especially when whilst an attempt was made by a couple of slower craft to board us on both sides the Bow crew popped in a slick change to keep the time lost to a mere 16 seconds!

“some gaps just happen some don’t, the skill is to avoid the latter”. Colin McP28/9/2014

We carried on  up the river exchanging nods to old friends from Lower Thames, Richmond Bridge, and Blakeney rowing clubs, the crew only breaking silence to cheer on the young ladies in Hollie  who were doing so very well and to greet and receive some helpful advice from Mable,  oh and in response to the meows from the Catwoman crew!

The more balanced the water the more Bembridge surged forward steadily passing others most noteably the large fleet of Celtic Longboats and assorted Harker Gigs

15.20 The impressive Trinty Tide (Thames Waterman Cutter) appeared travelling at a rate of knots. Battle was joined the two craft flat out 10 firm, 20, 20 more 20 and so on (a good time to be on a break methinks) this skirmish lasted for well over a mile both crews lost in their our own very private race left well alone by the marshalls on the far side of the river. Both crews fought out a great battle in a fair fashion and eventually Trinity prevailed. It was noted that amongst their crew sat one John Graham (GRR Winner 2013) pleasantaries were exchanged and the crews parted compnay.

Something had happened during the race with Trinity Tide, Bembridge and crew had got really well settled into race pace and the speed of the boat was just incredible so much so that at Richmond Witchoar (Claydon Skiff) and arch enemy of Gladys was sighted and passed.

We also sighted and passed perhaps the newest boat in the whole race the daintily named GROOT & Grut 2 a St Ayles Skiff from Holland completed just weeks before the event. Shortly after Marcus spotted Gladys in the distance the “super vets” were within sight again the pace lifted ensuring the splendid sight of two "cutters" crews powering to the finish with only 16 seconds seperating them! It was a great feeling to be so close together after such a long race, three cheers rang out between clubmates. The race was over!

[...]

http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Bembridge-at-the-Great-River-Race-a-cabin-boys-story-tp2431.html

Re: Bembridge at the Great River Race - a cabin boys story

Yes great write up Tim.  I remember the words Langstone Cutters on the vest in front of me! But hey that says it all.  Well done to all it was a real team day out.

Re: Bembridge at the Great River Race - a cabin boys story

RichardThrift
Hi Tim,
A really enjoyable and interesting read, exceptionally well done to all the crew and I do hope Errol fully recovers from such a dangerous situation. Sounds like Colin McPhee's comment could go into the Cutters folklore!! Thanks for your advice should Gail or I join in next year.
All the best
Richard Thrift