Bridge Hitting

Geoffrey Shilling
The tide is running from the Langstone side faster now. Two people have tangled with the bridge recently. One was me, my fault for not talking to my crew to make sure I had speed. I lost use of the rudder because I had no way. I was  inbetwween the channel markers.. this is not good enough.
You need to be much further towards Hayling where the tide is running straight the pillars. Geoff

Re: Bridge Hitting

Steph Savill
Thanks Geoff for posting this information very useful 👍 a good heads up.

Could I also add to who ever maybe coxing if this were to happen to them that the crew may not be able to respond instantaneously to commands after incident. I was in that boat and got knocked clean off my seat and onto Marion behind me. Gill however got pinned to the boat unable to move for a few seconds and was winded.

It took a few seconds to regain positions to be able to row out of danger so just something to keep in mind if it were to happen.

Hope this is useful
Thanks
Steph

Re: Bridge Hitting

Greg Spencer
I have not done much of this as others and the critical thing to me as cox was monitoring the in-line ahead transit on the North or South bridge pillars.
Obviously don't keep the transit dead ahead throughout or the boat will end up hitting the pillars, so bringing them off centre line on the final approach with tidal correction for a straight passage with about half an oar's length clear on each side through the bridge.