Email hacked

Liz Hall
My email has been hacked and the hacker seems to have sent a scam message to people in the Cutters who I am sure are not in my contacts. The message says that I have laryngitis and can't speak and can you help. They are trying to get money. I am wondering if they have hacked into this forum.

Re: Email hacked

nigel
The answer is yes, probably.
The insecurity and foibles of the nabble site are longstanding and annoying, but we continue to use the site as it is so useful.
I tried to warn you Liz, but couldn’t get a phone number in time. Have left a message on what I now believe to be your correct number.

For all Cutters users:- from personal experience, not only is everything on the site visible to all (so be wary of including personal info on the forum), but the insecurity allows the hackers to install trackers onto your account/computer (which are not always visible to antivirus services like Norton). Thus they can (did in my case) find the passwords you use to log into other accounts (e.g. bank)

Re: Email hacked

Liz Hall
Could we change to using a WhatsApp group, would that be more secure?

Re: Email hacked

I had that message, fortunately I  ignored it .

Re: Email hacked

BobbyClayton
Yes I had it to, but knew to ignore luckily

Re: Email hacked

Liz Hall
I am now convinced that my email was hacked via this forum (Navble) because people who use the forum received the scam email from the hacker even though they are not in my contacts. I get the daily email with forum messages so that is the link. I am thinking that if I changed it so that I don't get the daily email, I could still look at the forum every day and it will stop a hacker accessing my email from Nabble. The hacker now has all your emails and goodness knows what they will do with that information. Can somebody tell me how to turn off getting daily digest email? I went into settings but there doesn't seem a way to remove the selection.

Re: Email hacked

Hi Liz. I'm sorry this has happened to you. To change your subscription click on Options in the top right corner. The first option is Your Subscription. Click on that and you can edit it.

Rachel