Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

Next Saturday's excursion will be to Eling, at the top of the River Test. We will launch at the slipway at Woolston, next to the Southampton ARC boathouse. It is a rather dramatic row, round Southampton docks ending at the pretty basin at Eling where the sailing club has made us very welcome in the past.
XCWeather says it will be a nice dry day with a pleasant northerly breeze.
High tide is about 15.00, so we would need to leave Langstone at about 12.00, returning at about 18.00.

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

Timp
Yes please, Tim:0)

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

Teri Baker
Awww ..... yes please Chris!   This is rowing almost in my back yard!!

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

alison kidd
Oh, yes please, it is definitely time I was back in a boat. Alison

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

Yes please Chris for me and June too. Sounds great!

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

Liz Hall
John and Liz would both like to join you.  What are the arrangements about meeting place? - some of us live half way to Woolston.

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

Ron and Cheryl would like to join you for this Chris please.

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

We need one more to fill a second galley - and someone to tow it!

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

ron and cheryl
Hi Chris, by my count we have 10, enough for two galleys.
TimP
Teri
Alison
Marion and June
Liz and Jon
Ron and Cheryl
Yourself
It's the towing that's the problem

All the best~ Ron

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

I'd failed to read Marion's post properly...
Anyone able to tow?

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

Sorry not able to tow but happy to drive people over if needed. Guessing June will meet us there, where and when do you suggest she aim for Chris?

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

Hi everyone,
This is a bit difficult. We can either abandon the tow-row and have a local excursion, or split the row with one crew going to Soton and the other staying in home waters.
The row to Eling is longish (12 miles) and involves crossing a major seaway which can be slightly alarming, so the crew needs to be reasonably strong and experienced, and include a tower, obviously. Also, it is local for Teri and June. So I suggest that if we do go, the crew should be me (towing), Tim, Teri, June and Marion.
The 'home waters' crew would be Alison, Ron, Cheryl, John and Liz.
Would that be OK with you all?
Do post if you have any objections to the arrangement.
I hope to arrange more tow-rows in the near future and all will get a chance to participate.

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

Geoff
Hi Chris I'm interested in rowing on Saturday but not interested in going to Ealing. If some are rowing from at langstone I'm happy to look after the row.  Geoff

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

That would be great, Geoff.
How do the rest of you feel about a local row?

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

alison kidd
Chris, I really fancied the Southampton row so if Geoff is happy to sort out the local row how do you feel about 6 of us going for the row to Eling so that we can swap about and all get a row if the other 4 are happy to stay local?

Re towing it's not that I'm not prepared to tow I'm just not sure my car is up to it, being rather ancient and although I've done a fair bit of towing over the years I haven't towed anything more substantial than a small garden trailer with my current old jalopy.

Alison

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

Hi Alison,
You would be welcome on the Eling row. Having six on a long row is always good.

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

Liz Hall
Fine with me and John.  We will meet at Langstone.  What time?  Presumably about 13.00.

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

Geoff
1300 for row from compound. Geoff

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

alison kidd
Thanks Chris, I will be at the boat park in plenty of time to leave at 1200 as you suggested unless you post a revised time.

Re: Excursion to Eling, Sat Aug 30

Yes indeed, the meeting time at Langstone is 1200. I assume Tim, Alison and I will be there, with Teri and June, the famous 1980s comedy double-act, joining us at Woolston at about 1300. Marion - will you be going to Langstone or Woolston?
12