Hamble River Raid

This great event takes place in the afternoon of Saturday May 11, starting at Hamble Quay and racing up to the Jolly Sailor and back. In previous years we have entered Teifi skiffs but this year the organisers are keen for us to take Solent galleys to compete with Avery A, based at Bursledon. The atmosphere is always festive, with a hog roast, tea and cakes and (of course) a beer tent.
If anyone is interested in entering, please post here.

Re: Hamble River Raid

Damian Grounds
Banned User
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Hamble River Raid

Why yes my Lord, at once. But may I suggest that appearing personally in this forum with all these oiks is a bit, well, beneath your status as a Peer of the Realm? Perhaps you migh graciously adopt some sort of pseudomym, the name of a commoner, say, a name that we might, er, recognise?

Re: Hamble River Raid

A) I'm interested in going to the RAID this year, and I'm probably going to take my kayak as well as row (I'm presuming the kayak race(s) won't be scheduled for the same time as the Galleys...but you never know...). Thus if anyone wants a lift please get in touch.

B) very valid point about identifiability of account names !!! Other forums that I belong to insist on the post name being immediately identifiable -after all, the forum should be secure and so the issue of other "outsiders" getting hold of your identity/info is irrelevant.

Re: Hamble River Raid

Anybody else interested?
We need to get our entry in by May 1 for cheap entry!
http://www.hambleriverraid.com/

Re: Hamble River Raid

Marcus and I will be happy to row in the gamble river raid.

Re: Hamble River Raid

Paula Bray
Yes please chris I would be interested! Paula

Re: Hamble River Raid

testing,testing,123 testing come in Nabble

Re: Hamble River Raid

Chris, Thank you and yes please I would like to raid the Sea scouts along the Hamble, Cheers Steve Woods

Re: Hamble River Raid

Celia Billett
Yes please, I"d like to do that.

Re: Hamble River Raid

Chris am I too late to register for the row on the hamble.I have been incognito for the past month (nice place)but I am back now.

Re: Hamble River Raid

OK that's nine, which is a bit of an awkward number but we'll do our best. My aim is balance.
I suggest a crew for Bembridge of:
Stroke: Damian
3 - Steve
2 - Nigel
Bow - Marcus
Cox - Celia

Teifi
Me
Christine
Cox - Paula

1st Reserve - Les

Let me know what you think.

Re: Hamble River Raid

Nigel is taking his kayak so will be with us but not rowing, so that means Les goes in Bembridge.
It would be good to go out for a training run this week but unfortunately high tide is mid day all week - it seems a bit unlikely, but might everyone be around either Wednesday at 09.30 or Thursday at 10.00, so we could spend a little time in Bembridge?

Re: Hamble River Raid

Les Goodall
Hi Chris...... Sorry cant do wednesday.Thursday is ok but if no other takers, I should realy help the conservation group with sinposting.I will keep my eye on the forum.

Re: Hamble River Raid

OK lets forget the practice. I have suddenly got cross-channel training commitments anyway.
I've just sent out an email saying:
Hi Hamble Raiders!
I've reverted to email because the silence on the forum is a bit worrying - could you all please confirm your availability for this?
Nigel is taking his kayak so will be with us on the road but not in the boats.
As a result I've had a rethink about the crews and I think the following lineup is probably best:

Bembridge
Cox: Celia, Stroke: Damian, Me, Steve, Bow: Paula.

Teifi
Cox: Les,  Stroke: Christine, Bow: Marcus

Or something. Any better ideas?
We will meet at the boat park at 10.00 so we can get the boats ready for departure at 11.00 prompt - any later and we will have to float the boats round the pub!
See you on Saturday.
All best,
Chris

Re: Hamble River Raid

Damian Grounds
Banned User
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Hamble River Raid

I like that idea. What do you think, ladies?

Re: Hamble River Raid

I have just sent this message to Paula and I think the content will be of help to all:

Racing starts at 13.30. I think the Teifi will be in the 'odds and sods' class and the galley in the 'mega gigs' class, but they have given no start time. There are more races this year than in the past so it's a bit difficult to say when it will all be finished but the prize giving has usually been about 16.00. I suspect we will be back at about 18.00.
Sorry to be vague, but it is a bit of a vague event I must say.

Re: Hamble River Raid

nigel
Hi Chris,
      What time do you want us to congregate tomorrow? -and where, just in case it's not the obvious!
Cheers
Nigel.

Re: Hamble River Raid

Penny
Hi,
I hope you all have a great afternoon, sounds fab sorry I can't be there, am working this morning in the studio...and the sun has just come out for you All!
12