Hayling 999 day 21st June - another update

Hayling 999 day 21st June - another update

The very latest update following a high level briefing at the RNLI this very day!  There is a site visit this Tuesday 8pm if anyone would like to join me.

The current idea is that two Galleys will be put on trailers at the Mill for towing to Hayling seafront and then be carried (lots of Police Cadets are on hand) on to the beach at Hayling seafront near the funfair at about 3pm in an area marked out by coast guards and Polce Cadets.

The crews dressed in everyday clothes ie shorts and shirts will be ready to launch upon a signal from a cannon, at about 3.30pm, to row a few hundred feet to a vessel in distress which will be making smoke with five or six hardy types on board who will leap into the water to be rescued...

We will actually row past the vessel and then hold on for dear life as two life boats come thundering up, one from the East and one from the West to make a rescue.

We will then stand off, or the nautical equivalent, to allow a helicopter room to fly over to recover said casualties from the sea and deposit them in the life boats to be taken ashore wrapped up by the coastguard and taken to  ambulances etc.

There will then be a row/power/fly past including lifeboats and helicopter which should nod but I am reliably told will do just what the pilot fancies doing, him or her being the one with the controls.

We are then left with a decision or two as to what to do next........

It is I suspect too late in the tide to row back to Langstone and the current forecast indicates a Northerly breeze which is not ideal.

We could row around the bay a bit and then return to the shore and trailer back to Langstone, or indeed the Head Druid (Steve W) and his acolytes (Jenny and husband and Marion, with or without Allard) could take one Galley off to do stuff on a sand bank until the next high tide whilst the other Galley is placed on a trailer to return to await the tide going down a bit before being put in the boat park.

All of this is subject to weather and a decision will be made in the week ahead of the event..

In the traditional Cutters way I would welcome any views from the gang as to what we should do but I reserve the right etc.......😎

More later

Cheers

Tim

The club has been invited to participate in the Hayling 999 day on Sunday 21st June 2015.

The 999 day is to held on the Hayling Seafront, Beachlands site, on the green next to the tourist information centre (by the fair).

Why us, you may ask?

In short the organisers are planning a number of scenarios throughout the day to recognise the role of the emergency services throughout the years......

And, you might say?

Well, one particularly interesting scenario, the highlight of the day, is in recognition of the RNLI, Coastguard and other services dedicated to saving life at sea.......

So?

The planned scenario - subject to the prevailing weather conditions - is to celebrate the fact that first ever Hayling Lifeboat was based at The Inn on the Beach (a pub) and then to show how the service has developed since the 1870's

?

Well, in 1860 something a vessel was reported in peril off of Hayling, the Fort Cumberland Guard, Marines etc were dispatched and following unsuccessful attempts to reach the vessel a Cutter rowed by local bods was launched from the shore to attempt a .......

Ah ha

The planned event which will be at approximately 3.50pm will run as follows

A vessel is reported in peril - smoke and stuff are seen in the Bay - a Galley, or two are launched in response, suitably dressed, clay pipes, beards etc......Mike to source!

Mike will describe the origins of coastal rowing etc as the Galleys head out to sea.

Just what happens next is subject to numerous risk assessments, chance, weather, and the availability of other services, but, may well include muskets, cannons, flares, lifeboats, ribs, helicopters, Police, Marines, Lifeguards, ambulances etc - just a typical night out for many I know - but potentially quite a spectacle and no doubt an excellent opportunity to promote the Cutters.

Jenny, Dawn, Richard and June have agreed to join me to crew a galley so anyone else care to join us on shore to promote the club?

So we now have

Sue M
Tim
Mike
Jenny
Dawn
Richard and
June
Barry (old sea dog)
Frances
Mark
Cheryl
Ron

Cheers

Tim

RE: Hayling 999 day 21st June - volunteers required!

Jenny

Hi Tim
I'm interested especially if it involves dressing up. Prob Dawn will be too.Even if it means wearing a beard!!!
And helping throughout the day.
Thanks
Jenny

Sent from my Sony Xperiaâ„¢ smartphone

---- Timp [via Langstone Cutters RC] wrote ----

Dear All

The club has been invited to participate in the Hayling 999 day on Sunday 21st June 2015.

As you will see this is a somewhat complex proposition so I am looking for some volunteers to help plan and indeed to give some time on the day to promote the club and to participate in a potentially spectacular event!

This is also an open row day so we will also be looking for people to look after the Mill end of business.

The 999 day is to held on the Hayling Seafront, Beachlands site, on the green next to the tourist information centre (by the fair), between the hours of 10am - 4.30pm.

[...]

We have also been offered a pitch at the event to promote the club.

Having given the matter some thought and having taken soundings, tide and time dictate that there are two main options available to us.......

1. Pitch up at 3pm with a Galley or two and participate in the planned scenario with a shore crew to distribute leaflets, flyers etc. then depart at 5pm, Royal Oak etc

2. Set up on the main event site 8am ish with a couple of Galleys and promote club and then participate in scenario, depart at 5pm ish Royal Oak etc.

The planned event which will be at approximately 3.50pm will run as follows

A vessel is reported in peril - smoke and stuff are seen in the Bay - a Galley, or two are launched in response, suitably dressed, clay pipes, beards etc......Mike to source!

The commentator - volunteer required - will describe the origins of coastal rowing etc as the Galleys head out to sea.

Just what happens next is subject to numerous risk assessments, chance, weather, and the availability of other services, but, may well include muskets, cannons, flares, lifeboats, ribs, helicopters, Police, Marines, Lifeguards, ambulances etc - just a typical night out for many I know - but potentially quite a spectacle and no doubt an excellent opportunity to promote the Cutters!

I am sure that there will be a number of people keen to dress up, row, drink etc (Steve and Morris dancers past and present) but what I am looking for at this stage is an indication of those prepared to volunteer to do the more mundane stuff ie to help plan the various elements of the day, potentially tow boats really early and stay with the boats throughout the day  once I have an indication of support then we (Cutters committee meets next Monday) can decide which option to to go for.

So

Volunteers to help please sign up and indicate what you would be prepared to do on the day. Please bear in mind that we have an option to attend even if the weather does not allow for full participation.

This is an open row date and time so we will be also be looking for people to make sure there is a presence at the Mill

Cheers

Tim

http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Hayling-999-day-21st-June-volunteers-required-tp3941.html
To start a new topic under Langstone Cutters RC, email ml-node+[hidden email]

RE: Hayling 999 day 21st June - volunteers required!

Jenny

Hi Tim
I'm interested and especially if I get to dress up and be saved!!! Prob Dawn will be too. Even if it means wearing a beard!! (I know we have a lot of those already!!)  And obviously help throughout the day.
[...]

June ekberg
I'm happy to help Tim.

Re: Hayling 999 day 21st June - volunteers required!

Sorry I know this will come as a surprise but I'm on holiday then.

Re: Hayling 999 day 21st June - update

Sue Martin
Hi Tim,
I am happy to help on the day in whatever guise you require.
Sue

Re: Hayling 999 day 21st June - update

Thankyou Sue

Re: Hayling 999 day 21st June - update

Dear All

Current position is that we are looking to participate in the afternoon only seeking to arrive on site by land or sea at about 3pm.

I will know a lot more once we have a picture of what the weather is doing

Cheers

Tim

Re: Hayling 999 day 21st June - update

Barry Scott
Hi Tim,

I was sure I volunteered previously, however not too worry - can I also be a crusty sea dog please?

Barry

Re: Hayling 999 day 21st June - update

Frances
I would be happy to be involved in whatever areas are required.

Re: Hayling 999 day 21st June - update

Thankyou Barry and Frances

Re: Hayling 999 day 21st June - update

Mark Taylor
Also happy to help out in any capacity

Re: Hayling 999 day 21st June - update

Thankyou Mark

Re: Hayling 999 day 21st June - update

Tim, Cheryl and I are not going away this year after all so would love to be there in any capacity as you wish. Cheryl has made inroads with the PO7, PO8, and PO9 free paper such that she can enter editorials.  on the clubs behalf so I will be there with my camera (there's a surprise!) to add to Cheryl's write up. She is going to start with our open day.

Love your comment regarding Mike's invisible friend, must do something with that one day. Cheers ~ Ron and Cheryl

Re: Hayling 999 day 21st June - update

Thankyou Ron will include you both in plans, there was mention of a helicopter and plucking survivors from the sea!!!

Re: Hayling 999 day 21st June - another update

New update 7th June

Re: Hayling 999 day 21st June - another update

Tim, happy to help in any capacity . Cheers

Re: Hayling 999 day 21st June - another update

Update

There will be a full update tomorrow evening but current thinking is that we will be looking to take a Galley and the Gig Shearwater to this event.

The boats will be launched from the Ferry point and rowed to the event and back, times to follow. Crews are asked to sort out some clothing to appear like someone from the 1860s ie not cutters blue tops.

We will also be looking for one or two people to take pictures and engage with folk on the ground to promote the club etc.

There is a list of people who have shown an interest below, if you are not there please can you post.

Cheers

Tim