Mahogany appeal

Many of you will have seen the boat I am working on in Mike's garage (thanks, Mike!). It is, if you're interested, a 'Hampshire punt', a type that used to be common on the Thames as fishing boats and workboats for lock keepers. It is quite rare now apparently: though they were built by the hundred they tended to be left on their moorings until they rotted away, and nowadays people use fibreglass punts instead.
Anyway, some pieces are missing including most of the floorboards, the centre thwart and the stretcher. Mahogany is difficult to obtain these days - the stuff timber merchants sell is horrible, expensive and often the product of illegal logging. Does anyone have any old mahogany shelves or similar that might be suitable for recycling?

Re: Mahogany appeal

Timp
Chris, I do not have any but you may want to put a bit on Havant Freegle to see if there is any out there. Another option might be the junk shop in St Marys Road, Hayling where they often have brown goods for sale

Cheers

Tim

Re: Mahogany appeal

Grahaml
Have a look on eBay, I just purchased a super piece of English yew for my new project. It came with me to California in a suitcase.
New subject, today here in California we had rain, not a lot but it did rain most of the day. The TV news made a big thing of it, called it a storm. I don't think at any time it would have stopped us from rowing.
Must be time for a few pictures of this boat of yours.
Here is a picture of my yew project it's the base for a clock I have been making
Graham
image1.JPG
Sent from my iPad

On Dec 4, 2014, at 9:27 AM, Timp [via Langstone Cutters RC] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Chris, I do not have any but you may want to put a bit on Havant Freegle to see if there is any out there. Another option might be the junk shop in St Marys Road, Hayling where they often have brown goods for sale

Cheers

Tim

http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Mahogany-appeal-tp2744p2749.html

Re: Mahogany appeal

MARILYN
Hi Chris
I think I have a plank of mahogany,check it out next time you pass.
Marilyn.