Shelley Cook

Richard Harrison
It is with real sadness that I am posting to tell you that Shelley lost her battle with cancer at 4.45am this morning at Rowans Hospice.   Her father was with her as was her friend Malcolm.    She had fought her battle with cancer with great courage and fortitude.    Although obviously not well, she was able to attend our open day last month chatting to friends old and new.  Shelley was also really pleased to see so many people rowing on that occasion.

This morning as I practised with the ladies crew for the Hamble River Raid, we stopped rowing for a minute in the harbour to remember Shelley. I know we all had so many positive memories of rowing with her.   She had been a member of the Cutters for a good number of years as well as being a member of the Gig club too.   Shelley was also a rowing coach.  Her enthusiasm and warm personality will I know be missed by all who knew her.  Shelley was a real encourager and generous with her time too when encouraging others to develop their rowing skills.  Her last victory in the GRR was in 2014 when she rowed in 15 Seconds (along with Christine and Aileen) when the team won 3 cups - fastest ladies, fastest veteran ladies and fastest Salter Skiff. Last year she was not well enough to row but instead insisted on towing a boat to London so that others could compete - such was her commitment!

Today we have lost a good friend and I know that we will all miss her.

Richard

Details about her funeral will be posted here when they are known.  Please feel free to post your own tribute on this thread.

Re: Shelley Cook

ron and cheryl
This is how we will remember you Shellz - an inspiration to all of us! x

Re: Shelley Cook

I didn't know Shelley Cook as well as the majority of club members, but to me she was an ever friendly, warm and truly inspirational lady. Her radiance and her extraordinary character will be sadly missed, as will her beaming smile and hearty greetings.

Re: Shelley Cook

Thanks Ron... X

On 19 May 2016 6:18 pm, "ron and cheryl [via Langstone Cutters RC]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is how we will remember you Shellz - an inspiration to all of us! x

http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Shelley-Cook-tp7689p7690.html

Re: Shelley Cook

ron and cheryl
Hi Mike, it's all so sad. Our post was created sincerely by Cheryl and myself. Hope you are ok.

Re: Shelley Cook

So sad we won't be hearing that wonderful laugh any more.

Re: Shelley Cook

Teri
So very sad to hear today's news - we've lost a glorious and inspirational soul.   I think both Gigs and Cutters owe Shelz an awful lot - I know I do,  and we're all going to miss more than just that wonderful laugh!

Re: Shelley Cook

RichardThrift
So sorry to hear the sad news about Shelley. She was such a fun loving vivacious and enthusiastic lady whose infectious smile made everyone feel that much better. She will be missed so much by us both. Richard & Gail Thrift

Re: Shelley Cook

Hazel
What courage she had.

Love and support to all who are hurting.

Hazel xx

Re: Shelley Cook

She certainly was an inspiration , only 5 weeks ago she messaged  me asking how I was getting on with my back problems while rowing . After a long chat , she invited me round to Salterns lane as she wanted to look at my posture and advise . Truly a kind hearted lady , wish I'd known her longer than the year of joining the gig club .

Re: Shelley Cook

Liz and John
This is very sad.  What an inspiration she was, so courageous and always smiling.  We will really miss her, she was a true friend to many of the Cutters.

Re: Shelley Cook

Richard Harrison
Hi
Shelley's funeral will be on Monday 6th June at 10.45 at the Oaks Crematorium followed by refreshments at the Ship in Langstone.
Do watch this post as further details will follow
Richard