Sustained Race Training Row - UPDATED, PLEASE READ

Sustained Race Training Row - UPDATED, PLEASE READ

UPDATE:

Morning all,
Due to the ever changing weather I’m going to cancel this row. Everything I’m looking at is predicting strong winds and moderate rain tomorrow lunchtime onwards…and that’s not nice rowing weather!

I’ve had a few people contact me directly to say they’d like to do this training, but just can’t make this date/time. So I’ll put this row out again in the next couple of weeks when weather better and hopefully we’ll get a good turn out. Watch this space…

See you all soon
Matt

Hi all,

As some of you may or may not be aware, I am just about to start my British Rowing, Level 2 Fixed Seat Coaching qualification.
With this in mind, and following Rachel’s post yesterday, I am going to start putting together a series of training rows to help anyone who wishes to improve their technique, stamina, speed, how to change seats etc. for some of our upcoming races.

The first of these rows is planed for this Friday (1st March), meeting at 1:15pm

HW:14:54.
Weather: At the moment, light rain with a moderate breeze is forecast, but is likely to change between now and then (I’ll keep an eye out and advise accordingly).

As this is the first of these rows I would like to only take 2 boats out please, so am looking for no more than 12 people at most please. I am hoping among this number a  fellow experienced row organiser and cox will come along to take charge the 2nd boat please.

I propose meeting at the boat park at 1:15pm for some stretching and a quick pre-row chat.
Once on the water, I suggest a convoy up to HISC that will involve sustained leap frogging, pyramids and hard bursts etc.
After a short break, I then propose a competitive race between the two boats back to Langstone (distance to be confirmed, but approximately 3 miles), followed by of course, the obligatory drinks in the Royal Oak.

Please note:
This row is open to anybody and everybody.
However, this is a long, sustained (approx 2hr) race training row. With no stopping for tea and cakes or seal watching etc.
   This will be a harder than normal training row, to help those who are interested to start preparing for racing in possibly choppy conditions.

Please all come with plenty of water, and wet weather gear too.

Please post below if interested in coming along.

Re: Sustained Race Training Row - Friday 1st March, 1:15pm

Lesley Grainger
Hi Matt,
Sounds great. Count me in.
Lesley

Re: Sustained Race Training Row - Friday 1st March, 1:15pm

Rich Beard
Thanks Matt. I’m in

Re: Sustained Race Training Row - Friday 1st March, 1:15pm

Jonathan R
Matt I will be unable to join you but in the past we have found the Measured 'half a nautical sea mile' very useful. Clearly there will always be water movement but rowing in both directions can give useful timings to confirm and document the improvements.
The British Admiralty thinks a sea mile is 6,080 feet. So half would be 3,040 feet.
At 6 knots we have used 10 minutes as our Target!!!!!
I admire your training efforts. I hope all goes well.
Jonathan R

Re: Sustained Race Training Row - Friday 1st March, 1:15pm

Kay Chambers
I’m in Matty! 🙌

Re: Sustained Race Training Row - Friday 1st March, 1:15pm

….

Re: Sustained Race Training Row - Friday 1st March, 1:15pm

Phil Hill
Please count me in Matt
Thanks
Phil

Re: Sustained Race Training Row - Friday 1st March, 1:15pm

Great, that’s 5 of us so far…anyone else fancy a training blast up to HISC and back? Would be great to get 2 boats going together!

Re: Sustained Race Training Row - Friday 1st March, 1:15pm

Julie Carter
Can’t make this one Matt but interested for future dates.

Re: Sustained Race Training Row - Friday 1st March, 1:15pm

Dave & Josie
Unfortunately I can’t make this but would also be interested for future dates 👍

Re: Sustained Race Training Row - UPDATED, PLEASE READ

….

Hi Matt,
That's a shame as I was really looking forward to it. I'll definitely be up for the next one.

Re: Sustained Race Training Row - UPDATED, PLEASE READ

Rich Beard
Thanks Matt.

I’ll be interested for next time. Rich