report on open tow-row Thursday 11th

Andrew B
This post was updated on .

We went
..and launched as planned at Swanwick. We covered the river raid course by rowing downstream against the tide to Hamble Quay for the tea kiosk, then back up to Bursledon, under the bridges to the Horse and Jockey at Curbridge for lunch al fresco. ( Bit expensive )
Back down the creek and went up above Fairthorne Manor where Debbie and I have seen Kingfishers before. Saw at least two KF on mutiple fly-bys. Have photographic evidence see the little so-and-so on the 'goal post'.

Also saw a Buzzard on a stick, egrets etc, and drugs smugglers.

Past (?) the Grace a Dieu wreck buoy, then back under the 3 bridges, sharp left and back on the slipway.

Thanks to Debbie, Tim, Sue, Cheryl & Jackie Tutt.

I'm down to organise the next Open Row NOW FULL SORRY

Thanks to Christine you have yet another chance to row - on Weds, see her posting please,here :
http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Bonus-extra-Wednesday-row-td2228.html

1. Andrew
2. Debbie
3. J. Tutt
4. Sue Ex
5. Cheryl
6. Tim

Since Christine has kindly organised another mid week row for Weds, I have closed 'my' row at one boat full - of 6, as I'm thinking of doing a towrow somewhere ( not far )

PS I'd like to reserve BEMBRIDGE For THURSDAY UNTIL 1700.
Andrew

Re: Next week's open row is Thursday 11th

Jackie Tutt
Yes please for the Thursday row
Thanks
Jackie

Re: Next week's open row is Thursday 11th

sue martin
thanks Andrew, look forward to it.Sue.T77

Re: Next week's open row is Thursday 11th

Just confirming me too please.Cheryl.

Re: open row Thursday 11th 1 space left

I can now confirm my attendance, kind regards, Tim

Re: FULL open row Thursday please row with Christine on Weds

Andrew has kindly supplied the following passage plan:

Meet Red compound 10:30

AB tows to Bursledon public slip, which I visited the other day to double check.

Go up stream as far as Fairthorne Manor.

return Lunch Horse and Jockey. ( HT approx 13:30. spring.)

return to Slip, check status viz-a-viz tidal heights, if height OK may pop into Jolly Sailor.

Re: FULL open row Thursday please row with Christine on Weds

Nigel
Hi Andrew/Chris,
     If by "Bursledon public slip" you mean either of the two public slipways adjacent to the old A27 Bridge, then can I strongly recommend you don't use these as they are both very narrow and have no turnaround point or parking directly by them. The Bursledon "Lands End" slipway also has problems for trailers.
   I suspect you actually mean "Swanwick public slip" which is on the east side of the Hamble just south east of the A27 roadbridge and the Premiere Marina (Moody's). This is easily accessible for the trailer, has adjacent car & trailer parking, and even has a pub just behind the car park!

http://documents.hants.gov.uk/Hamble/guide-PublicSlipways.pdf
and for a description:-
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/hambleharbour/navigation-safety/public-slipways.htm

Note that the edge of the slipway (marked) is sharp.

Note also that whichever you depart from, at SPRING TIDES [13-07 with 4.5 metre range at the Premiere boatyard] the COX should be very wary of the sharp turn to starboard (just beyond the Marina) which has a dangerously strong SIDEWAYS CURRENT which can push unwary long boats westwards into (and under) boats moored on the west side of the channel.

Re: FULL open row Thursday please row with Christine on Weds

Andrew B
This post was updated on .
We went

..and launched as planned at Swanwick. We covered the river raid course by rowing downstream against the tide to Hamble Quay for the tea kiosk, then back up to Bursledon, under the bridges to the Horse and Jockey at Curbridge for lunch al fresco. ( Bit expensive )
Back down the creek and went up above Fairthorne Manor where Debbie and I have seen Kingfishers before. Saw at least two KF on mutiple fly-bys. Have photographic evidence which will post later.