Broads tour next year?

Dear Rowers,

I'm writing to find out whether any of your club members would like to bring a boat to the Norfolk Broads for a tour of the rivers Ant, Bure and Thurne from 11th to 14th August 2014. I have been able to provisionally book camping accommodation at Barton Turf Adventure Centre, where you can camp in your own tent, or in a four bedded tent belonging to the centre, with beds and breakfast provided. There is also space for up to 3 camper vans or caravans. For those requiring more luxurious accommodation, there are plenty of hotels, B&Bs and self-catering cottages in the area.

The provisional plan is to spend each day exploring the rivers and broads, participating in some not too serious rowing competitions and picnicking. There will be safe overnight mooring for the boats and transport to and from Barton Turf each day provided at cost. Evening social events are also planned.

Accommodation costs at Barton Turf are:     Basic camping (max £14.00 per tent)        £5.50 per head per night
                                        Vans (max 3)                            £14.00 per night
                                        Camping, tent, bed and breakfast provided    £16.50 per head per night

In addition there will be transport, administration, launching fees, tolls and catering costs, which I will be able to give you when I know the level of interest.

The weekend following is Blakeney Regatta (North Norfolk Coast) making it possible to continue your rowing fun on salt water.

Once I know the approximate numbers I will be able to make more specific plans and calculate costs, so please reply even if it is to say "No interest."

Yours sincerely,

Adrian Hodge
(CRA Blakeney and Norfolk Skiff Club)

Re: Broads tour next year?

Peter L
Definitely interested. Sounds great!

Peter L

Re: Broads tour next year?

Mary West
Yes I am interested sounds fun

Re: Broads tour next year?

Damian Grounds
Banned User
It sounds brilliant. I would definitely be interested.

Re: Broads tour next year?

Alan Harding
Hi Chris,

I guess there will be the odd beer or two somewhere along the way! So very interested.

Thanks,

Alan H

Re: Broads tour next year?

Jenny Munns
Hi Chris
Sounds wonderful. I'm interested although already having problems with getting time off in August so will need to wait to see if I can take that week off.
Thanks
Jenny

Re: Broads tour next year?

Yes please sounds great ...... Rachel

Re: Broads tour next year?

sounds great = would need to see if I can get the time off.

Re: Broads tour next year?

robina
Def. Interested.
R & C

Re: Broads tour next year?

Am interested in this and would like to hear of developments.

Re: Broads tour next year?

alison kidd
I'm interested too, Alison

Re: Broads tour next year?

Barry Scott
Can I add my name to the list, (although I will be dependent upon getting dog sitters).

Barry Scott

Re: Broads tour 11-15 August 2014

Adrian Hodge has sent a more detailed plan for the Broads jaunt in August. The idea is to row to different points each day, returning to Barton Turf by minibus each evening. It should be a great week.
Several of you have expressed an interest - could you confirm? And of course, if anyone else wants to go please post here.
Adrian writes:

Dear All,

I'm gradually getting to grips with the details for the Broads Rowing Tour (11- 15 August 2014), which is being organised by Coastal Rowing Association of Blakeney. I'm sending you this email to advise you of the projected costs and to encourage you to register your interest early for the limited places on the tour and accommodation. I will be sending out the finalised prospectus later. Please forward this email to anyone who you think may be interested.

The tour will consist of an exploration of the rivers Ant, Bure and Thurne, starting and finishing at Barton Turf. On the way there will be some informal competitions and the opportunity to explore on your own. This is suitable for fixed seat coxed fours, pairs or doubles. If you are thinking of bringing something else please contact me first.

Camping accommodation has been arranged at Barton Turf Activity Centre (see below), but B&B accommodation may also be available at Wayford Bridge Inn (£85 per night per room, 2 sharing). This price can probably be reduced for a group booking, so contact me soon if you think that this might be your choice.

There are other accommodation options in the area, B&B, self-catering cottages, hotels and pubs, but before you book check that it is within easy reach of Barton Turf, Ludham and Hickling, which are the overnight stops on the tour, and that there is space for you on the tour.

The costs to you of joining the tour, excluding accommodation and travel to Norfolk, fall into two categories, a fee per person and a fee per boat.

The following figures are provisional and may need to be adjusted.

£55 per boat, to include cost of a visitor's toll for a rowing boat on the Broads, mooring fees and a share of the expenses associated with an accompanying motor boat. If your boat is already licenced for the Broads, deduct £6.75. If your boat has a sail or motor, you will have to make your own arrangements with the Tolls Office at the Broads Authority.

£95 per person to include BBQ at Barton Turf on Monday evening (inc. drinks in moderation), supper at Hickling (3 courses excluding drinks) and buffet lunch at Barton Turf on Friday.
Use of minibus to travel from Barton Turf to start and finish each day and possible collection/delivery from/to Norwich Station or airport on Monday and Friday.

I have assumed that some will use their own transport during the week, but remember that we start and finish at different places each day. However, by using the minibus to take drivers back to their cars after rowing, it may be possible to move everyone with only one minibus. If you can use your car to transport your crew each day, please let me know, but you will still be required to make a (reduced) contribution to the cost of the mini-bus. I can only finalise transport costs when I know who will be travelling by car.

A choice of packed lunches can be provided each day. I will include details and costs when available.

Camping at Barton Turf Adventure Centre.
I have negotiated the following rates for the 4 nights of the tour:
Per person in your own tent                                                      £22
Camper or caravan (per unit)                                                    £56
Per person, tent and bed supplied (4 bed tent) plus breakfast £66
Book directly with BTAC (bookings@btac-services.co.uk 01692 536411) The final date for booking at BTAC is 5th July, BUT please secure your places on the tour first.

If your party includes non-rowers it will be possible for them to join in the social events at cost, which I will calculate, when I have some idea of numbers.

It is possible to change rowers during the tour. You will have to apportion the entry and boat fees, but I will need to know the names of all rowers before they go afloat.

At present I have not been able to arrange boat hire for anyone arriving without their own boat. If there are likely to be seats available in your boat please tell me.

Now I would like you to email me if you think that you or your club are likely to join the Broads Tour. If possible include an estimate of the numbers of people and boats that you would like to bring and whether you would be interested in B&B accommodation at Wayford Bridge Inn. You are committing yourself to nothing at this time. I will send more information and confirmed costs when available.

Yours sincerely,

Adrian Hodge

Re: Broads tour 11-15 August 2014

Hi Chris, I would like to confirm my interest in a place please.

Re: Broads tour 11-15 August 2014

Andrew B
Hi Chris,

To confirm previous conversations, Debbie and I would like to come and have already booked a camping slot at BTAC.
Andrew

Re: Broads tour 11-15 August 2014

Alan Harding
Hi Chris,

Yes this is still good for me.

Thanks,

Alan

Re: Broads tour 11-15 August 2014

Nigel
Confirming that I'm still interested. Nigel.

Re: Broads tour 11-15 August 2014

Damian Grounds
Banned User
Confirming that I am still interested.

Re: Broads tour next year?

Barry Scott
Confirming, sounds great!

Barry

Re: Broads tour next year?

sue martin
Hi Chris,
Yes please, registering my interest and confirming in one go.
12