Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Andrew B
Mark - minibus for me please
Andrew

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Grahaml
I would be happy with a mini bus.
Graham

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 2, 2014, at 10:00 PM, "Andrew B [via Langstone Cutters RC]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mark - minibus for me please
Andrew

http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Greenwich-River-Festival-and-Tall-Ships-Regatta-Sept-7-tp1928p2177.html

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Teri Baker
Minibus please! And thank you for organising this Mark.

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

alison kidd
Mark, thanks for posting this...I'm certainly looking for a lift rather than driving so unless there are at least three people prepared to take their car + passengers a minibus is looking like the best option.

Alison

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Jenny
Hi Mark
I would like place on minibus
Thanks
Jenny

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Hi Mark, great idea, please put Cheryl and me down for the mini bus too. ~ Ron and Cheryl

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Andrew, if you are on minibus, would Debbie also be coming?

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Alan Harding
Hi Mark,

Good idea on Mini bus. I happy to use this option and also happy to be flexible if you already have enough people to fill the mini bus.

Alan H

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Mark Taylor
Folks, ref minibus, thanks for all who have replied. I have contacted Jet Connect, who I have used before for various morris dancing trips and they are relatively cheap but very reliable. As it is London and Sunday, the price is a little more than I expected, but following people have expressed interest:-

Ron
Cheryl
Jenny
Mark
Frances
Alison
Teri
Graham
Andrew (is Debbie coming also?)
Alan

The cost would be £390 which includes the driver and no other charges, they would pick us up at Langstone 08:00 and would leave London at 18:00 or earlier if we want.

That would be about £35 per person, however the bus would be a 14 seater minimum so there would be space for others who may just wish to spectate and so we could reduce the overall cost. I will go ahead a nd book the minibus unless I hear objections over the cost, but as I guess most of us country boys and girls dont really want to drive up in The Smoke, I plan to call the minibus company tonight at about 19:00 and confirm the booking - so shout out now if you are not happy. Please remember that due to engineering works on both routes to London, the train is not really viable.

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Andrew B
This post was updated on .
Hi Mark,
As Teri says, thank you for stepping up and grasping this nettle.
No Debbie won't be coming now, for obvious reasons, which is a great shame.
Thanks
Andrew
Andrew

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Hi Chris ,I think this is the wrong list, but can I go on the mini bus please. Marilyn.

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Hope this is the correct list, Can I put my name down for the mini bus please ,Marilyn

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

alison kidd
Hi Mark, I'm going to see if I can get a lift with Chris/Shelley, will let you know asap. Alison

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Yes please for the mini bus, Marilyn

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Grahaml
Please put me down for the mini bus,
Graham

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 31, 2014, at 9:22 AM, "Chris Partridge [via Langstone Cutters RC]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Here is the provisional plan. The row-past and race starts at noon, but there is plenty going on in Greenwich so it would be a good idea to arrive as early as possible so we can get the boats on the water and have a look around before the event.
Because of the early start, there will be a work party after the Saturday row, probably about 1100, to put all the galleys on the trailers and get them ready for the road.
Departure on Sunday will be at 08.00 promptly - high water is at 10.36 so we need to get the boats out of the compound without too much delay so please foregather at the Mill at 07.30.
This should mean we will arrive at Deptford at about 10.00.
We should get back at around 18.00 but that depends on how good the festival is!
The cost per person will be £15 including fees and petrol.

http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Greenwich-River-Festival-and-Tall-Ships-Regatta-Sept-7-tp1928p2143.html

Mark, re my post earlier today - Chris has said he has a space in his car so I will be travelling with him.

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Mark Taylor
Transport for SUNDAY

Folks, having heard from all, the transport to Greenwich this Sunday will be as follows and I am now booking the minibus:-

So we meet at in Langstone High Street at 08:00 on Sunday morning.There will be  13 people on a 14 seater minibus. This will cost £30 per person. Please can you all bring RIGHT CASH on the day to pay direct to the driver.

Shelley  TOWING
Elaine MINIBUS at 08:20 NORTH OF LISS ROUNDABOUT
Mark MINIBUS
Andrew MINIBUS
Teri MINIBUS

Jenny MINIBUS
Sue MINIBUS
Graham MINIBUS
Nigel MINIBUS
Marilyn  MINIBUS

Mike MAKING OWN WAY
Alan MINIBUS
Tim TRAVEL WITH CHRIS
Chris TOWING
Frances   MINIBUS

Ron MINIBUS
Cheryl MINIBUS
Alison TRAVEL WITH SHELLEY

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

I have now received full details of the parade and race from Malcolm Knight.
From this, you will see that it will not be feasible to transfer people ashore during the race, so we will have a passenger in each boat both for the procession and the race. I suggest we sort out on the day who will passenger on each leg, but everyone should get a row.
The relevant document is copied below - please read, mark and inwardly digest them. If you want to see the risk assessment, you can.
It looks as though we will be spending most of our time at the Ahoy Centre, so if you want their lunch please sign up using the link below.
Do people want to visit Greenwich after the event, or would you prefer to come straight back?
Thanks to Mark and his great work on the minibus, we will have a luxurious trip up.

Ladies & Gentlemen

Thank you for your forbearance - sorry for the delay in getting these details to you.
I had to re write the plan and get it signed off.
Please see the attached regarding Sunday.
If there are any questions/issues please let me know asap.
 The AHOY Centre will be running a cafe and bar providing coffees before the event and lunch and refreshments afterwards.
Please bring family, friends and supporters to enjoy the spectacle and views of the rowing and Tall Ships from balcony overlooking the river.
Please register in advance on Eventbrite for lunch to give an idea of numbers - payment for food and drink will be cash on the day
www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/tall-ships-heritage-rowing-lunch-tickets-12868107857
There are showers and changing rooms at the Ahoy Centre for the use of the rowing crews
For those who have not been there before the address of the Ahoy Centre www.ahoy.org.uk is:
Borthwick Street, Deptford, London, SE8 3JY - about 10 minutes walk from Deptford mainline station.
Hopefully we'll have a great row, a keen race and create some colour and spectacle at the Regatta.
 See you all very soon
Malcolm

GUIDANCE NOTES

Sunday 7th September 2014
These notes should be read and understood by each
crew member and retained by the Coxswain

On Sunday 7th September 2014 at 12 noon The Queen’s Row Barge ‘Gloriana’ with an escort of Watermen’s cutters, gigs and Skerries will row past and salute the moored tall ships at Greenwich Royal Naval College.
The route will be from The Ahoy Centre, Deptford downstream passing Greenwich Pier and the Royal Naval College to the Power Station pier.
Following the row past QRB ‘Gloriana’ will return upstream to a point downstream of Masthouse Pier.
The Trinity 500 Challenge will then commence with the flotilla racing back (1300m) in two divisions to the finish line marked by QRB.

A reception and prize giving will follow at The Ahoy Centre.

These Guidance Notes are to assist you in participating in this event.
Please read, understand and then follow their directions.

SAFETY ~ ALL PARTICIPATING CRAFT

• The river is NOT closed for this event. All crews must be aware and take all necessary action to permit the safe passage of all other craft on the river.
• All Barge Masters and Coxswains should read the Risk Assessment and take any necessary action.
• All boats participating MUST carry a buoyancy aid or life jacket for each person aboard ~ the Coxswain and all passengers must wear theirs at all times. Crew MUST wear theirs when moving around the boat and when embarking and disembarking. Anyone who cannot swim at least 50m fully clothed MUST wear a buoyancy aid or life jacket at ALL times.
• All boats MUST carry a hand bailer (attached to the craft) or electric bilge pump.
• All craft will follow these Guidance Notes, but the Master of the craft will at all times be responsible for the consequences of their own navigation and it is their decision to take part and/or continue to participate.
• We recommend that all crew and in particular Coxswains view the PLA video on ‘Rowing through Central London’ at www.boatingonthethames.co.uk .
• All participating boats are to comply with any instruction given by a Safety Boat or Control Boat as the timings of the Row Past are critical to its success.
• For the Row Past all craft should maintain close formation with QRB, only taking up the southern half (starboard side) of the river.
• The Row Past is a processional row​*******NOT A RACE********
• If you are unable to maintain the required speed move gradually to one side of the flotilla, you will be identified by a safety boat and then taken in tow to a safe mooring. Remain seated in your craft at all times and take instruction from the attending safety boats.
• The Trinity 500 Challenge will be a race – see following instructions.
• Safety Boats will be identified by a black flag with white ‘Safety’ lettering. There will be two safety boats in attendance on the flotilla.
• If your craft is immobilized for any reason or becomes damaged - and you need urgent assistance - your Cox should remain seated, cross and uncross their arms above their head and if possible wave a piece of white clothing in the direction of the nearest safety boat.
• If any person aboard your craft becomes unwell signal in the same manner as above and follow instructions from the attending safety boat.
• In the unlikely case of ‘Man overboard’ the crew is to remain seated, one member to shout loudly “Man overboard!” and point at the location of the person in the water. The Coxswain will attract the attention of the nearest Safety boat and then follow instructions. All other craft are to keep rowing down the course, craft must not round up and attempt recovery. Recovery of a MOB will be carried out by Safety not participating craft.
• No alcohol may be consumed by any person whilst afloat as part of the Flotilla.
• VHF radios will NOT be used by individual manpowered craft. Any communication you require with other craft will be carried out directly and verbally.
• Mobile phones and valuables should be kept to a minimum and carried in sealed waterproof bags. The organisers will not be held responsible for the loss of any mobile telephones or any other such items.
• Every boat must be individually covered by valid public liability insurance up to £2 million for any one claim and for any loss, injury or damage to property or persons (including all persons aboard the craft).
• Any towing will be undertaken at the boat owner’s risk.
• In the case of severe weather conditions on the morning of 7th September a decision will be made by the Organiser (Malcolm KNIGHT, Director Thames Alive) working with the PLA DHM as to whether the event can continue. In poor conditions the QRB will complete the Row Past with power assistance if necessary and in extreme conditions the event may be cancelled. (See App. 2)
• All participants must ensure they are prepared for all weather conditions ~ carry waterproofs, warm clothing. Light refreshments will be available to all crews and supporters at The Ahoy Centre.

COMMAND & CONTROL

The Organiser (Malcolm KNIGHT) will have overall Command (hereafter called ‘Controller’) of the Flotilla aboard ‘Ecocat’ working with the PLA HM Duty Officer.
Marshal/Safety boats will supplied by Northern Exposure Rescue and Ahoy Centre. Any instruction given by the crews of these craft must be acted upon immediately.
The working radio will be Channel 14.
The Controller will liaise with London VTS re. the flotilla movements.
The total number of craft involved in the flotilla will be twelve (12).

SUNDAY 7th September 2014

TIMETABLE

All crew members are to be made aware that there will be NO delay in leaving The Ahoy Centre – they MUST arrive in plenty of time to prepare themselves and their boat for departure.
10:00​Boats & crews arrive Ahoy Centre
10:15​Coxswain briefing
​10:30​QRB arrive Masthouse Pier
​Flotilla crews commence boating
​11:00​PBDRC crew arrive QRB, embark
​11:15​QRB depart Masthouse
​11:20​QRB & flotilla form up upstream of Ahoy Centre
​11:30​Commence row downstream
​12:00​Salute to Tall Ships opposite Royal Naval College
​12:20​QRB turns about and returns upstream
​Flotilla move to Nth shore and hold
​12:50​First Division Start
​12:55​Second Division Start
​13:00​QRB hold water opposite Ahoy Centre (finish line)
​13:10​Challenge Finish
​QRB to Masthouse Pier, moor, crew disembark
​13:20​Flotilla crew ashore at Ahoy Centre
​13:45​QRB depart for SKD
​15:00​Prize Giving at Ahoy Centre
DETAIL OF MOVEMENTS
These should be reading in conjunction with Appendix 1 – ‘Row Past & Challenge Route’ and Appendix 2 – ‘Risk Assessment’

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

ron and cheryl
Agreed, thanks to Mark, and don't forget yourself Chris, many thanks to you ~ Ron and Cheryl

Re: Greenwich River Festival and Tall Ships Regatta Sept 7

Team - ref Sunday don't forget amongst the "small print" in the guidance notes, THAT WE ALL NEED A BUOYANCY AID OR LIFEJACKET.
1234