Just an idea for an excursion row

Matt O’Neill
Hi all,
Just something I thought I’d float and see if there was any interest in…

With the idea in mind of trying to find different places for excursion rows, some good friends of mine own the very beautiful Crown and Anchor pub in Dell Quay.
Every Friday evening (6pm onwards) from 1st July to 2nd September, they are holding “The Sunset Sessions” - Live music, a chillout vibe and outdoor kitchen, bar and BBQ on the terrace overlooking the harbour, and I thought we might all like to go visit.

I believe Dell Quay is around 10 miles from Langstone by water, so would be a fair row, and with the pub situated next to the sailing club I know well and small beach area, there should be plenty of mooring available too.
For those of you that don’t know the pub, their website is:
http://www.crownandanchorchichester.com/

It might turn out that it’s thought too far to row, or needs a trial run one day in a Teifi just to see first?
But if there is interest, I’ll willingly start getting an idea of tides (with a little help from Andy, Geoff, Chris, Rachel etc please) and then try and hunt for a sunny Friday!
If all else fails, It might just be a nice place to meet up for an evening social outing anyway!!

Let me know your thoughts,

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

ron and cheryl
Sounds good Matt.
We have rowed from Dell Quay before but it was a tow to Dell Quay then row to Bosham and back to Dell Quay. So, if enough interest, we could tow to somewhere nearer then row to Dell Quay and back to launch place. Then, of course, we have tides and weather to consider so it would need some organisation. Be interesting to see if anyone interested. All the best ~ Ron and Cheryl

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

Know it well Matt , lovely food and beer so im in please.

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

Hi Matt

Great idea and one for Chris, Steve and Geoff to consider me thinks.

Even if we were to tow and row from Northney free of the tidal constraints at the Mill, you are likely talking two and a half hours each way, which is an additional two hours rowing above and beyond GRR and Round Hayling.

Could tow and row back from Dell Quay = one way row and shuttle back to pick up the vehicles and trailers?

Just input and ideas.

PS Love the idea and challenge of a twenty mile round trip, but?

Over to the experts.
Best

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

Andrew B
It was a long old haul from DQ to Bosham and back for Ron's retirement row a few years ago...I would suggest launching at Bosham and going up to DQ and back on the tide.
Andrew

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

Northney to Dell Quay and Back is perfectly do able in my view and would make a refreshing change to our regular destinations.

Coordinating weather , tides, day light etc for a Friday evening would be a big ask because we would have to be heading back by 7 pm to make Northney before dark.

Last summer's Portchester Castle row was 16.5 mile round trip and this one would only entail an additional 45 minutes rowing. Hence, it is very viable.

I think its a great idea.

We need calm settled good weather and we also need to be heading up through the creeks and harbour on a flood tide.

Leaving 3.5 hours before high water and returning shortly after high water would ensure that the tide was with us pretty much throughout.

We also would need towers and experienced navigators.

Why limit ourselves to a major faff and relatively short tow row from Bosham to Dell Quay, when we could enjoy a fantastic row amidst the majority of Chichester Harbour?

Great idea Matt and one which gets my vote and a big thumbs up.
Best
Andy
len

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

len
ill come along great pub  and row also

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

A lovely idea but there are practical difficulties, mainly because the event is in the evening.
It is possible to row to DQ and back from the Mill in one tide but only with a very strong crew and without taking more than a pee break at Dell Quay, which rather defeats the object.
Going from Nothney is also possible but spending any time at the event would mean getting back to the marina late, probably no earlier than 2200, followed by recovering the boats and taking them back to the boat park which is probably not what most people would like to do at that time of night.
We could launch at Bosham and go round in an hour or so but parking is a nightmare and it would still involve a late return.
One possibility would be to launch at Dell Quay at, say, 15.00 and go for a good long row before putting the boats back on the trailers and relaxing at the event. We might be able to get back to the boat park at, say, 2000, which would be a more civilised time to put the boats away.

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

KateM
That sounds a great idea Matt. Not sure about the logistics but I'm in. Probably needs some planning and discussion with a few experienced excursioneers over a pint  Kate

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

Geoff 1/-
6Like Chris, I think it's not a good idea as apart from the distance, by my measuring its 9.5 land miles. The tides in the evening are Neaps. This would mean not so much water over shallows making our route longer. Starting from and returning to Langstone would mean a two hour row there and same back. Maybe time for a quick pint. Geoff

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

Sorry, I overlooked adding, that I thought it would work well as a Saturday excursion tow / row from Northney and that attempting same on a Friday evening was a very big ask.

A daytime row on a calm and settled day and on a Spring tide.

That would allow time to enjoy a meal and a pint at the pub without the concern of having to belt back to the Mill.

My thoughts were based upon a Saturday outing which would give people to eat, rest , relax etc prior to the return trip.

Chris and Geoff know all the options and permutations of when and how to do it on a Friday evening.

Best All.

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

Tina
I would be interested.

Tina

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

Hi guys,
Thanks for all your feedback, I wasn't sure but in the end figured it might be too far for just an evening event. As Andy suggested it may make a change for a longer day out excursion with a proper lunch stop in between sometime. So maybe a destination just to keep at the back of our minds after looking for a proper starting point?!

In the mean-time, I love Kate's idea of sampling a pint or two there whilst contemplating the logistics of it all. So with this in mind I'll be stopping by there Friday on my way home from work, about 7ish to see exactly what the "Sunset Sessions" are all about.....If anyone's interested, please feel free to come join me for a drink!

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

Dee
If we are not able to row there and folk are interested in a night out  , perhaps a mini bus pick up and lots and lots of beer to be consumed ! .... Count me in

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

ron and cheryl
Dee, a GREAT IDEA!!

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

shahnaz
sounds great,

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

KateM
Unfortunately I can't make the initial planning meeting this Friday but hopefully I can get an update over a pint on Sunday lunchtime after rowing  Kate

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

Lesley Kent
Sounds a lovely idea Matt! Lesley

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

I suspect one of my better ones ...����

Re: Just an idea for an excursion row

Thanks so much for all your input guys,
Thought it best to leave my number so you could all text/call me individually to let me know your thoughts on this, and meeting up Friday evening around 7ish!
07415 634962